Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2011, 05:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
EVGA makes decent video cards, however, am I the only one that finds this product uninspiring and on top of that, wraped up in flimsy plastic? On the otherhand, I am looking forward to the (extra-special-super-dupper-OC-FTW or something) GTX590 and see what it will bring.
All card using the reference Nvidia cooler ( so almost 100% of all EVGA card ) are wraped in flimsy plastic. There is just less of it on this card since the top of the card is almost all wide open.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 13, 2011, 10:15 AM
da_bradler

I have two GTX 460s running in SLI at 800mhz and I get better frame rates than the GTX 580(HWC review) on the Heaven Benchmark.(hard to compare anything else since their i7 is so much faster than my phenom II

Not bad considering I got them for the combined cost of 320$
Old March 13, 2011, 12:01 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
Imagine 4 of them on an SR-2......
It would be horrible actually. You don't want to run videocard folding@home clients on the SR-2. It will cripple the CPU clients performance.
Old March 13, 2011, 04:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Post present plastic fad

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
All card using the reference Nvidia cooler ( so almost 100% of all EVGA card ) are wraped in flimsy plastic. There is just less of it on this card since the top of the card is almost all wide open.
I guess I just don't like the present plastic fad. Aside from the open PCB cards (like nVidia's 6600 GT & GTS 250), I must have spent too much time glaring at my (now sold) pair of EVGA 8800 GT and my present Quadro 2000.

Plus, is not plastic horrible for static dissipation?

Last edited by EmptyMellon; March 13, 2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: note about static
Old March 13, 2011, 10:40 PM

Anyone else notice it has an SLI connector?

Since NVIDIA drivers don't support >2-way SLI on GTX 460, I wonder if EVGA is getting something custom?

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old March 13, 2011, 11:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
I guess I just don't like the present plastic fad. Aside from the open PCB cards (like nVidia's 6600 GT & GTS 250), I must have spent too much time glaring at my (now sold) pair of EVGA 8800 GT and my present Quadro 2000.

Plus, is not plastic horrible for static dissipation?
Anyway we could discuss that for a decade it's just a matter of taste ;) And yes you are right plastic is well known for keeping heat inside, but! In most video card plastic is used as a air tunel to direct the air in the heatsink so it's fine.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 14, 2011, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Anyone else notice it has an SLI connector?

Since NVIDIA drivers don't support >2-way SLI on GTX 460, I wonder if EVGA is getting something custom?
Someone had mentioned that they dont support SLI, but when the boards were made it was included for some reason, and it was too late to take it off?

-edit- found the quote I was looking for....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
It cannot be SLI'd , they were produced too fast and it never got removed (the sli connector).

That being said this is a great option for those who prefer nVidia and have an AMD rig.

Which is where I sit right now.

ST

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old March 14, 2011, 06:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I don't understand this card, it has a very limited market group. Other than the fact Nvidia has a bunch of 460 chips lying around to sell.

The 580 will use less power, and produce less heat. This card also is at it's performance cap, if indeed it cannot be SLI'd (which i'll take ST's word for it). I would also assume, due to its size.. it won't overclock like a banshee due to power limitations and heat produced.
The only people looking at this card, are people looking for a triple monitor solution in one card. However, I would imagine performance wouldn't be that great across three monitors. So then the arguement could be "perhaps you can SLI it for more power" - which defeats the purpose if you're looking for a single card solution.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old March 14, 2011, 06:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Considering that 460 PCB can be used for 560 dies, anyone here think that once they run out of 460 stock, they'll just throw a couple 560s on here and call it a day? Wouldn't it be nice if they just threw a couple of 560s on now and sold them? :D

It's interesting that they stuck with the dual 460s (over 560s) when you can re-use the PCB. I guess they really just want to find ways to sell 460s better? I'm sure the 560s are going to be hot selling items on their own without making a dual 560 GPU.

The real interesting part about this card is to offer a kill price (sub $400). I find it stupid how so many people on the evga forums are demanding that this card be priced $320-350 or it's not worth it. Considering that you always pay a price premium for getting faster performance on a single PCB, I see no reason why evga can't charge the normal price of 2x 460 1GB + premium. Obviously, if they price it higher than the 580 (since it supposedly performs faster), then they'll be jerks and trying to make the biggest profit possible. I won't be buying one, but somewhere under $400 sounds reasonable to me.
Old March 14, 2011, 06:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I don't understand this card, it has a very limited market group. Other than the fact Nvidia has a bunch of 460 chips lying around to sell.

The 580 will use less power, and produce less heat. This card also is at it's performance cap, if indeed it cannot be SLI'd (which i'll take ST's word for it). I would also assume, due to its size.. it won't overclock like a banshee due to power limitations and heat produced.
The only people looking at this card, are people looking for a triple monitor solution in one card. However, I would imagine performance wouldn't be that great across three monitors. So then the arguement could be "perhaps you can SLI it for more power" - which defeats the purpose if you're looking for a single card solution.
Niche market for sure. From EVGA itself they are the ones the said the SLI connector couldn't be removed in time for production, so I took their word for it.

Still, for myself personally if this is priced less than the 580 by a signifigant amount, it is worth it for me if I want to drop my 6950 in place of something like this instead (and in turn ditch the troublesome drivers I have been plauged with).

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com