Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2011, 10:50 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Intel to announce Light Peak this Thurs

link

Very impressive tech, and being USB backwards campatible is a win in my opinion. Apparently the new Macbook Pro's are supposed to be the flagship computers for it
Old February 23, 2011, 01:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

But I don't want a mac :(
Old February 23, 2011, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

From what Ive read its compatible with the display port interface, and not the USB ports.

By the way, the official name for it is "Thunderbolt"

(sketchy pic btw, so dont take what I say for official)

My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old February 23, 2011, 08:56 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
But I don't want a mac :(
You don't have to get one, Apple is just the pioneering company, much like they are for display port right now, and how they were for USB in the past

I'd expect that in a year from now you'll have a few PC's with it, and within 5 years, if its all intel says its gonna be, it'll the universal standard

The connector is shaped identically to a USB connector, it just has more connections inside, so if the device is light peak capable it'll use it, but if its USB3/2 then it'll downgrade to USB 3/2 performance
Old February 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
You don't have to get one, Apple is just the pioneering company, much like they are for display port right now, and how they were for USB in the past
I believe this is untrue. Perhaps you're thinking of firewire? If anything, compliance with standards is a relatively contemporary thing for Apple. In the past, they were big on proprietary implementations of existing industry standards.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:47 AM

My System Specs

The fact that Apple is integrating it into the DisplayPort will prevent me from buying one right there. If they do the same thing w/ their iMac looks like I won't be upgrading.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:54 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
The fact that Apple is integrating it into the DisplayPort will prevent me from buying one right there. If they do the same thing w/ their iMac looks like I won't be upgrading.
Why does light peak matter enough to you to be a deal breaker?
Old February 23, 2011, 11:08 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Why does light peak matter enough to you to be a deal breaker?
Lightpeak is the only reason I want to upgrade. I want a lightpeak network but DisplayPort is a requirement for me. I can't have just one, I need both.
Old February 23, 2011, 11:31 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Lightpeak is the only reason I want to upgrade. I want a lightpeak network but DisplayPort is a requirement for me. I can't have just one, I need both.
I think I understand now.. this is more of a long term (within 12 months) consideration for when you can add lightpeak support to your other systems?

Are you heavy into A/V? - I'm not trying to be flippant in anyway; I'm trying to understand all the buzz because it's kinda meh to me right now. In theory, it could be cool if it catches on and the price of cabling isn't prohibitive, but as it is now I only see practical benefits to those into A/V.