Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Intel to announce Light Peak this Thurs (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/41026-intel-announce-light-peak-thurs.html)

SneakySnake February 22, 2011 11:50 PM

Intel to announce Light Peak this Thurs
 
link

Very impressive tech, and being USB backwards campatible is a win in my opinion. Apparently the new Macbook Pro's are supposed to be the flagship computers for it

Blu February 23, 2011 02:01 AM

But I don't want a mac :(

Sagath February 23, 2011 08:15 AM

From what Ive read its compatible with the display port interface, and not the USB ports.

By the way, the official name for it is "Thunderbolt" :haha:

(sketchy pic btw, so dont take what I say for official)

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/1...rbolt_Port.jpg

SneakySnake February 23, 2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu (Post 488778)
But I don't want a mac :(

You don't have to get one, Apple is just the pioneering company, much like they are for display port right now, and how they were for USB in the past

I'd expect that in a year from now you'll have a few PC's with it, and within 5 years, if its all intel says its gonna be, it'll the universal standard


The connector is shaped identically to a USB connector, it just has more connections inside, so if the device is light peak capable it'll use it, but if its USB3/2 then it'll downgrade to USB 3/2 performance

Desiato February 23, 2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SneakySnake (Post 488884)
You don't have to get one, Apple is just the pioneering company, much like they are for display port right now, and how they were for USB in the past

I believe this is untrue. Perhaps you're thinking of firewire? If anything, compliance with standards is a relatively contemporary thing for Apple. In the past, they were big on proprietary implementations of existing industry standards.

lowfat February 23, 2011 11:47 AM

The fact that Apple is integrating it into the DisplayPort will prevent me from buying one right there. If they do the same thing w/ their iMac looks like I won't be upgrading.

Desiato February 23, 2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 488932)
The fact that Apple is integrating it into the DisplayPort will prevent me from buying one right there. If they do the same thing w/ their iMac looks like I won't be upgrading.

Why does light peak matter enough to you to be a deal breaker?

lowfat February 23, 2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desiato (Post 488933)
Why does light peak matter enough to you to be a deal breaker?

Lightpeak is the only reason I want to upgrade. I want a lightpeak network but DisplayPort is a requirement for me. I can't have just one, I need both.

Desiato February 23, 2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 488936)
Lightpeak is the only reason I want to upgrade. I want a lightpeak network but DisplayPort is a requirement for me. I can't have just one, I need both.

I think I understand now.. this is more of a long term (within 12 months) consideration for when you can add lightpeak support to your other systems?

Are you heavy into A/V? - I'm not trying to be flippant in anyway; I'm trying to understand all the buzz because it's kinda meh to me right now. In theory, it could be cool if it catches on and the price of cabling isn't prohibitive, but as it is now I only see practical benefits to those into A/V.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02 PM.