Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2011, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Then why 8 SATA ports and SATA 6Gbps at that. It just doesn't make sense.
for raid...

AkG, like i've said, if you want extra features buy a different model motherboard, why exactly do you need that many usb ports? what possible benefit could be achieved by using a usb device for any overclocking or benchmarking? I am not aware of any sub zero benchers that use neoprene or rubber to insulate their boards anyway, temperature cycles would make it very fragile and would more than likely deteriorate and crack over time. i can only speak for myself in terms of insulation but i always remove the eraser from the board to ensure it dries out after each bench session.

if you're a serious overclocker (ln2) for pure benching then this is a great board, if not then there are other alternatives that would accommodate your needs. having said all that i really cannot see any logic at all behind your reasons why the board is a 'fail'.
Old February 20, 2011, 11:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Welcome unregistered come and log in and join the group. We are a friendly group here. :)

I assume you have something to do with this design, and you are the one who stated it was benching...so IF this is the case then please answer the basic questions me and lowfat have posed... and once again I'll reiterate them:
1) Why the added SATA controller chip (that just adds to the cost and doesnt any tangilbe benfits...its not like the controller it uses it going to help you score better RAID benchmark numbers (ICH 10 would be better for those scenarios with the exception being sata 6)? This smacks of PR to me and doesnt help benchers out at all.

2)Why not include some form of insulation. You want to go after this niche of niche..yet dont want to take the time, effort and money to do it right? Yes it would cost RnD...but "you" had hicookie to help you out!

3) Why not inlcude some way to actively cool the mobo heatsinks. Its going to be on an open bench...so even with beefy heatsinks the parts under them are going to get TOASTY when you go extreme overclocking...as at the end of the day those heatsinks are still PASSIVE design (and its not like the bencher niche cares about noise levels!)

4) Why not have more USB ports...its not like you need to add an extra controller chip or anything!

Yet it has none of the features that would make it killer / stand out as a becher mobo...so IMHO they halfaresed it and called it a "OC" board. Like I said most people who OVERCLOCK want usability as "we" overclock to get more bang for our buck and boards like this are just an insult to overclockers. IF you want to go after the niche bench market...go for it...BUT dont call it something its not. Don't pretend its something its not. This all adds up to PR gone awry to me and thus it is a fail.

Just my POV and 2 cents. YMMV. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 21, 2011, 03:43 AM
Associate Review Editor

Here's my opinion with regard to those questions:

1) The SATA 6Gb/s ports (running off the new Marvell 88SE9182 1GB/sec controller) and/or the six SATA 3Gb/s ports could be useful for those benchmarking PCMark. They should probably be using an Areca RAID card, but it can't hurt to have a certain functionality onboard.

2) A good idea in theory, but since the conformal coating would have to be applied after the motherboard was fully assembled, it would be a nightmare to ensure that the various slots and connectors weren't all gunked up. It could absolutely be done, but the extra labour would raise the price of the motherboard considerably.

3) Active cooling isn't really needed on a board like this since it's intended for sub-zero use, and everything around the CPU socket just freezes anyways.

4) Could have been done, but that would have been excessive. 4 ports is perfect: mouse, keyboard, flash drive, and one spare, possibly used for a WiFi stick.

And there's nothing wrong with the name If you want to benchmark competitively, you need to overclock, so fundamentally it is an overclocking motherboard. Also, there's lots of highly skilled guys who just mess around trying to secure the highest possible CPU-Z validation.

For example:

YouTube - 990X X58A-OC
Old February 22, 2011, 05:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I wish Gigabyte waited until the successor of X58 before releasing this awesome board. X58 is an end of life chipset. Great as it was, it has outlived its stay. I don't really see a point to a any new X58-based mobo designs.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old February 22, 2011, 08:11 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Here's my opinion with regard to those questions:

1) The SATA 6Gb/s ports (running off the new Marvell 88SE9182 1GB/sec controller) and/or the six SATA 3Gb/s ports could be useful for those benchmarking PCMark. They should probably be using an Areca RAID card, but it can't hurt to have a certain functionality onboard.
Benching PCMark Vantage is useless w/o a RAID card if you plan on getting a decent score. Even so people don't generally bench it since it doesn't cound on HWBot for points.
Old February 24, 2011, 07:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I agree it would be nice if they did this color scheme and design in a more consumer-friendly board, with new socket compatibility. Is this the beginning of a series?
Old February 24, 2011, 08:20 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I love this board, is perfect for what I want a board for. As mentioned it is a board for benchers and benchers dont need that extra stuff. If you need extra features and extra ports there are plenty of other boards with them.