Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Intel Rumoured To Launch 510 Series SSD March 1st

While the Sandforce SF-2500 controller is already being reviewed in devices such as the OCZ Vertex 3, very little has been heard about Intel's next generation of solid state drives, until now.According to VR-Zone, Intel's 510 series SSD, codenamed Elm Crest, may be making its public debut on March 1st, 2011. The drive will be the first Intel SSD ... [ Read full article ]
Old February 18, 2011, 03:10 PM
Unregistered

Talking Ouch!

While I would love to get the bigger drive, $580 is waaaaaay $$$ for me. I'll wait for the competition to kick in. Corsair, OCZ, Samsung, Crucial etc. will be running their own updated controllers. Drives with the awesome SF-2000 (2500) series have already shown to kick some serious ass. I believe Intel won't be leaving those prices up for long. The SF-2xxx series in alpha trim real world benchmarks has already annihilated Intel's reported (not actual) performance! I don't think people will have too much loyalty for long with that level of performance.
Old February 18, 2011, 03:33 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
While I would love to get the bigger drive, $580 is waaaaaay $$$ for me. I'll wait for the competition to kick in. Corsair, OCZ, Samsung, Crucial etc. will be running their own updated controllers. Drives with the awesome SF-2000 (2500) series have already shown to kick some serious ass. I believe Intel won't be leaving those prices up for long. The SF-2xxx series in alpha trim real world benchmarks has already annihilated Intel's reported (not actual) performance! I don't think people will have too much loyalty for long with that level of performance.

The OCZ Vertex 3 (SF-2500) 100GB has an MSRP of $525USD and 200GB, $775USD

For the performance improvements, the Intel SSD's may just be the better buy.
Old February 18, 2011, 04:01 PM

My System Specs

From what I've seen I would take the Intel any day over the Vertex 3 and other SF-2500 drives due to the fact that it still uses 34nm NAND. Currently 25nm-based SSDs don't carry enough of a price drop to justify the decease in performance and NAND life.
Old February 19, 2011, 03:39 PM
Top Prospect

Default Sata 3 card compatible.

Quick question:

For those ppl who dont have any sata 3 ports on their aging motherboards (i have a Gigabyte P45 UD3P) can we add buy a cheap sata 3 card and use this "gen 3" intel ssd to its full potential or do I have to buy a new motherboard.

Can I buy a sata 3 card like this:

Newegg.ca - Rosewill RC-225 PCI-Express 2.0 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card
Noctua NHD14 140mm air cooler
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.1
4GB G.SKILL PC2-8500 1066 Mhz (5-5-5-15)
Zotac GTX 480
Corsair HX620 modular 620W
Intel X25-m SSD + WD Caviar 640gb + 500 gb
Silverstone TJ-10 B w/ Window
HP 2709M and LNA40a530
Old February 19, 2011, 03:45 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
From what I've seen I would take the Intel any day over the Vertex 3 and ....

+1 ....
Old February 19, 2011, 06:12 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjee View Post
Quick question:

For those ppl who dont have any sata 3 ports on their aging motherboards (i have a Gigabyte P45 UD3P) can we add buy a cheap sata 3 card and use this "gen 3" intel ssd to its full potential or do I have to buy a new motherboard.

Can I buy a sata 3 card like this:

Newegg.ca - Rosewill RC-225 PCI-Express 2.0 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card

Yes and no.
Yes you will get darn near all the speed (though a little bit less)....BUT you probably wont get TRIM. Not many controllers can pass on the TRIM command soooo I would recommend against it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 19, 2011, 09:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

:( And I was really counting on this to be the year of the SSDs... Guess we are going to have a little longer to become mainstream! (i.e affordable)
Old February 19, 2011, 10:04 PM
Banned
F@H

as long as they can milk it so they shall...

lets say they sell the retailer a 30 dollar part for 100, and said retailer sells
it to you for 179 or sometimes in super special at 150..lots of money there.
as long as no one pulls a quickie and screws the rest and its own pockets in the long run? plenty
o cash for all for a while :)

we need a pioneer. one that will make super cheap ssd's...while slower than the more expensive ones,
once people start not buying into the bs prices anymore the other co's/corp's will have to adjust or
make less sales sooooooooooooooooooo......whos up for it? :)
Old February 19, 2011, 11:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
:( And I was really counting on this to be the year of the SSDs... Guess we are going to have a little longer to become mainstream! (i.e affordable)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
as long as they can milk it so they shall...

lets say they sell the retailer a 30 dollar part for 100, and said retailer sells
it to you for 179 or sometimes in super special at 150..lots of money there.
as long as no one pulls a quickie and screws the rest and its own pockets in the long run? plenty
o cash for all for a while :)

we need a pioneer. one that will make super cheap ssd's...while slower than the more expensive ones,
once people start not buying into the bs prices anymore the other co's/corp's will have to adjust or
make less sales sooooooooooooooooooo......whos up for it? :)
Blame Apple and their seemingly bottomless pit of NAND flash demands. Even with all the big boys rushing to get new factories online and ramp up production its the cost of NAND that is setting the price of SSDs. Thats what SF and their controller is so popular this gen...the companies can "get away" with using lower grade nand (ie nand not rated for 10k writes...BUT is cheaper) because of its super low write amplification.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr