Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2011, 10:59 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default OCZ the First SSD Manufacturer to Announce Successful Transition to 2Xnm NAND Flash

OCZ Technology Group, Inc., today announces it is the first SSD manufacturer to successfully complete the transition to 2Xnm NAND flash-based storage solutions with the goal of significantly driving down the cost of client SSDs.?OCZ is constantly exploring ways to not just advance solid state drive design but also make the technology more affordabl... [ Read full article ]
Old February 16, 2011, 11:02 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Storage reviews has a great article up with a comparison between the 25nm and 34nm OCZ SSD's

OCZ Vertex 2 25nm Review (OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G) | StorageReview.com

Looks like OCZ kind of goofed up with the marketing of the 25nm launch and the explanation to consumers about the differences and changes they would experience.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Oh OCZ....
Old February 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Successful? I got screwed with this change, paid for 34NM NAND drives and got 25NM drives.
No more OCZ for me!
Old February 16, 2011, 01:51 PM
Banned
F@H

would a kind fellow jot down a few words,in olde english if you so like, for the folks who still have no idea upon this
clowning? :)
Old February 16, 2011, 01:51 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

How come I get the nasty feeling that ALL 60GB SF drives (and probably most SSDs) are going to go this way. These newer 8GB density chips just make it no longer cost effective to use the smaller 4GB chips. If this is the sign of what is to come...I can just imagine what the 40GBs are going to look like (and we will be right back the "bad old days" of the smaller drives acting like the X25-V did). This is not a good thing. :(

EDIT:

What OCZ has done dan is basically go to a newer higher density MLC NAND chip....and use LESS of them. The 60s were better than the 40s because ALL the channels were populated but these NEW and "improved" 60s are "missing" 8 chips. This means some of their performance numbers are going to tank. AND it looks like the "new 60" will only be seen as 55GB by the OS instead of 60GB (and the new 120s will be seen as 118GB)... Like the SSD industry wasnt confusing enough to first time buyers we now will have old and new floating around with completely different performance & size...but the same name.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; February 16, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old February 16, 2011, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Congrat's OCZ! it was a good choice to drop ram market :)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 16, 2011, 03:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
EDIT:

What OCZ has done dan is basically go to a newer higher density MLC NAND chip....and use LESS of them. The 60s were better than the 40s because ALL the channels were populated but these NEW and "improved" 60s are "missing" 8 chips. This means some of their performance numbers are going to tank. AND it looks like the "new 60" will only be seen as 55GB by the OS instead of 60GB (and the new 120s will be seen as 118GB)... Like the SSD industry wasnt confusing enough to first time buyers we now will have old and new floating around with completely different performance & size...but the same name.
Wow... thanks for the clarification!

I think I may hold off on any further SSD purchases until things are sorted out.
Initially reading the headline I was thinking "this is great... cheaper SSD's for all" but now reading this and understanding a bit more; I'm thinking "but at what cost??"
Old February 16, 2011, 03:12 PM
Top Prospect

Such a lovely controller put to waste. Same old OCZ, build name on great releases then start shoveling crap.
Old February 16, 2011, 03:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's funny I was just looking at the 60GB Vertex2 .
From the article FiXT link to:
Quote:
Bottom Line
If it weren't for their shady marketing practices, OCZ could have come to market with a pretty decent 25nm SSD, at least based on our real world benchmarks. As it is though, the "new and not so improved" Vertex 2 is branded and marketed the same way as the "old and faster" Vertex 2. Buyers are better off finding an old Vertex 2 if they can, but that's nearly impossible since the two products even share the same model number. At this point it is buyer beware until OCZ steps up and reveals some degree of transparency.
What the hell were they thinking.