Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2011, 04:12 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
Well I think you're in the minority there... Why do you need Windows 7 on a device such as this? ...

Count me on the minority too, why 7 ? Simple my PCs use it, my serverís works well with it too. I'm use to 7, MS Office, it will be nice to be able to edit a Word document from the office server, and save it again on the server later.
Old February 15, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look up the " EP121 Asus "

I cant find out that much yet but it looks interesting .

Shipping on Feb 28
Old February 15, 2011, 04:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Look up the " EP121 Asus "

I cant find out that much yet but it looks interesting .

Shipping on Feb 28
ASUS Campus Life | 12.1" Eee Slate EP121

Yeah, but unfortunately it's not a tablet format netbook, it's a notebook replacement. There's no way I'm going to spend $1100 on a tablet.

I figure if they can put out a dual core atom netbook for sub-$500, there is absolutely no reason why they can't offer the same thing in a tablet format (with the new improved procs) for sub $700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
Count me on the minority too, why 7 ? Simple my PCs use it, my serverís works well with it too. I'm use to 7, MS Office, it will be nice to be able to edit a Word document from the office server, and save it again on the server later.
Sorry for the double post, but I missed this one, and it's a pita to merge posts.... (maybe I'll try once this is up.... ;) ).

This was exactly my line of reasoning when I was talking to MAC about the subject (came up WRT the current MWC Expo going live). My (very resigned) final point was that chosing a non-windows OS would require me to start checking out free browser based cloud apps so that I could seamlessly transfer work between the tablet and my win7 / XP rigs.

I'd rather not do that if I don't have to, especially since I don't have much faith in "free" cloud apps staying free.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; February 15, 2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The way I see it, the main reason people want Win 7 is for word processing; I could be wrong, but that's just the feeling I get. The problem with typing anything on a tablet is that it sucks; you'd want to attach a keyboard, and then you might as well have a laptop. I've seen prototype machines (can't remember who) that were basically netbooks with detachable keyboards, turning into tablets. Maybe that's the future?
Old February 15, 2011, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

EP121 Asus has a bluetooth keyboard it might have been this one.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:04 PM
Rookie

Personally I am excited for the Playbook. I am looking for something that will be extremely portable but still allow me to browse the web without compromise (like removing flash). I don't need to replicate my desktop environment, all I need is something that I can easily drop in a large coat pocket or slide in between some books in a bag that turns on instantly and has a slick UI. This tablet looks perfect as it has a dual core and 1GB of RAM while keeping the form factor nice and small. The multitasking present in the QNX OS also looks far more effective than the competition (with the exception of possibly webOS) and best of all its Canadian
Old February 15, 2011, 09:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It was this one by MSI, actually I remembered incorrectly, it was two touch screens attached like a book. I swear I've also seen one with a detachable keyboard though...
Old February 15, 2011, 09:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

That Asus tablet is exactly what I want. But I don't want to have a separate keyboard, something on screen would be nice. I don't envision people sitting down and hammering out a thesis paper on the go with their tablet, then again that maybe just me. It would be great if it was bundled with some writing to text software. That way I could jot down notes with a stylus then transfer them to Word or whatever as a text file later. The ASUS offering will definately be something I'll be looking into at the end of the month.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old February 15, 2011, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The ASUS has word recognition from the stilus to text. there is an ASUS vidio on youtube channel of it in action.
Old February 16, 2011, 04:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

the Asus eslate thinggy is pretty neat, but expensive. And who wants to drag around a bluetooth keyboard?

I like some of the original tablet laptops.. the ones where the screen folded around and could be a touch screen, or had a full laptop keyboard that came out (and it looked/worked as a laptop). Granted, these things were 2" and heavy.. but i'm waiting for a tablet maker to introduce a sturdy fold out, netbook size qwerty keyboard.
I'm in the market for a tablet, to replace my aging laptop (and something to read HWC on the couch if i'm watching a boring movie with the wife!), and was looking at the ipad of course.. but I hate the touch screen keyboard style, and dont' want to buy all the other options and junk for external keyboards.
And I don't think the Win7 OS is going to be a minority here, as were all a bunch of hardware guys - it's people like my aunt, who knows nothing of computers.. who likes the little touch screen apps that make it so damn easy to use.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.