Allstar

My System Specs

Also ASRock seems fair.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

I was waiting for z68 anyways :D
Old February 1, 2011, 01:40 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I find it amazing how people forget that the SATA 3 ports default to SATA 2 when a SATA 2 device is installed. As such, if the SATA 3 ports connected to the PCH are used, the pathways which are causing the issue will still be affected.

The only way to completely avoid this is to use the SATA 3 ports which have a dedicated controller attached to them (Marvell, etc.).
Old February 1, 2011, 01:46 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I find it amazing how people forget that the SATA 3 ports default to SATA 2 when a SATA 2 device is installed. As such, if the SATA 3 ports connected to the PCH are used, the pathways which are causing the issue will still be affected.

The only way to completely avoid this is to use the SATA 3 ports which have a dedicated controller attached to them (Marvell, etc.).
This is the advice coming from retailers such as NCIX. Here is Linus' post:
Quote:
2. The chipset is believed to be MORE LIKELY to fail with heavy use. To reduce the risk of data corruption or data loss, NCIX recommends that you move all drives to either the Intel SATA3 6.0Gb/s ports or any other 3rd party chipset SATA3 6.0Gb/s ports (check your motherboard manual). It is also recommended that if you must use any of the SATA2 3.0Gb/s ports, you should use them with your least important drives or ones that access read-only media (ie DVD burner).
NCIX FORUMS - NCIX Announcement Thread: Intel LGA1155...

So Sky, you are saying that moving all SATA 2 drives to the SATA 3 ports changes nothing?

If this is the case, NCIX and other sites need to get their information correct.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 1, 2011, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I find it amazing how people forget that the SATA 3 ports default to SATA 2 when a SATA 2 device is installed.
Now the $<insert value of an add-on SATA card here> question is... does the Intel chipset physically connect to the defective circuit when it does SATA2 backwards compatibility? If not, then there's no issue. Otherwise, sky is right and ASROCK, NCIX, and everyone else who says attaching to the SATA3 ports is wrong
Old February 1, 2011, 02:14 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Looking at the block diagram for UD7 it looks like both sata 3 and 6 feed directly into the chipset so Mike is right for this board.
Old February 1, 2011, 02:24 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

My understanding is that all 6 series boards have SATA 3 ports that run off the Intel chipset.

Perhaps Linus can confirm this?
Fold for team #54196
Old February 1, 2011, 03:21 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It all depends on how Intel did things. The SATA 6gb/s controller SHOULD be able to backrev to Sata 2 mode so it is possible that the tracings for the those two ports go to the sata 6 controller and wont simply fail over to the sata 3gb/s controller....but it all depends on how fancy Intel got. They could have easily gotten very fancy (as Intel is known to do) and had ALL sata 1/2 traffic go through the sata 2 controller regardless of what port the drives are connected to.

Until Intel comes out and says one way or the other Mike is absolutely right. The ONLY way to be 100% sure is use the 3rd party Sata 6gb/s controller's ports. The downside to this is...anyone using SSDs will lose TRIM abilities as those 3rd party controller cant pass on the commands. :(

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; February 1, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old February 1, 2011, 03:27 PM
Rookie

I am sure I'm not alone but I was so excited to order the parts yesterday but now many stores have deactivated them off the shelf for obvious reasons.

On the brighter side... I get to hold on to my money longer xD
Old February 1, 2011, 03:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I thought Intel was the one stating that customers should connect their devices to the Sata3 ports?
If so, wouldn't that mean they are using the different controller, and therefore unaffected?