Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2011, 08:23 PM
Associate Review Editor

I believe undervolting the PCH should also help delay this issue, since it will diminish the heat output, which is at least one of the factors that leads to the degradation.
Old January 31, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
I was planning on building another Sandy bridge system this week...don't really feel like waiting a couple months to get a mobo. To me this is a very minor issue... just use the unaffected ports till this get sorted out. I'll be at Canada Computers tomorrow morning... I'm sure they don't give a rat's a$$ about all of this and will sell me a board.
Maybe you can get it for less $$$ too.
Old January 31, 2011, 09:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Maybe you can get it for less $$$ too.
That's what I'm hoping Their margins are really tight so I somehow doubt it... Down the road they may also just offer a voucher or cash back to those who don't want to go through the hassle of returning their boards for repair... Either way it doesn't matter to me... me wants another one...
Old January 31, 2011, 11:09 PM
FredDurstIsStillCool

Yeah I doubt they will offer any additional discount. They're already doing a favour by breaking the rules I guess...
Old February 1, 2011, 12:00 AM
Unregistered

Default This is why I buy AMD

This is why I 've been an AMD Guy for 15 years.
These problems haven't happened on AMD systems, to my recollection..
This is also not the first time that Intel has stumbled significantly.
- Recall the divide-by-zero issue with the first Pentium chips?
Old February 1, 2011, 12:03 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is why I 've been an AMD Guy for 15 years.
These problems haven't happened on AMD systems, to my recollection..
This is also not the first time that Intel has stumbled significantly.
- Recall the divide-by-zero issue with the first Pentium chips?
There was that TLB problem with the Phenom X4's. Everyone has their problems; we're fortunate that they are pretty far and few between.
Old February 1, 2011, 05:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Dokk is right, AMD had an issue as well. No one is immune to these things.

As for retailer level. CC downplayed it very much, oh all the boards are fine. And the shelves were stocked full still.

Interesting stance to take,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 1, 2011, 07:25 AM
Top Prospect

I just got back from the CC in Mississauga and they still have tons of P67 boards stocked. One guy was actually buying one and the guy suggesting it to him said NOTHING.... I eventually mentioned the issue to him and told him about what would be required and he RAN from it. You could literally see the fear of technology in his eyes.

Anyways, he just bought an i3 with a P55 board on sale since all he was doing was surfing the net and word processing with his wife.

<RANT> In an unrelated story, I was able to get them to price match a Gigabyte 560ti to 241.99 after about 30mins of brow beating them and talking to the manager on several occasions... I'm just to lazy to go into Markham or Scarborough to go to NCIX.

Get out here to the west end of T.O NCIX!! </RANT>
Old February 1, 2011, 10:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Gary from Asus:

Quote:
Update - We are still finalizing details with Intel but will have our official statement in the very near future.
A large German retailer on the other hand has stepped up. Those with 1155 boards will have their boards replaced once the new boards arrive. Those who want a full refund on the other hand may do so upon proof of degradation. Sounds reasonable to me.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I look forward to hearing from Asus on the solution to us early adopters.
Hopefully it's a cross ship of the replacement board to minimize the downtime when the new fixed boards are available.