Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2011, 07:50 PM
Blu's Avatar
Blu Blu is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Grande Prairie, Alberta
Posts: 394

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I like how NCIX shipped my P8P67 Pro an hours after Linus made the post on the NCIX forums saying they were no longer selling them.
Aren't you just there lucky customer :P
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,570

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I like how NCIX shipped my P8P67 Pro an hours after Linus made the post on the NCIX forums saying they were no longer selling them.
+1, all the major retailers that stopped selling today just got major points in my book.

Canada Computers seems to have a blatant disregard for NDA's and stuff like this, I probably won't be going there again any time soon. Tigerdirect is... well Tigerdirect.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2011, 08:01 PM
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kingston Ontario
Posts: 926
Default

Canada Computers will probably just keep selling them till they run out...
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2011, 08:23 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 91
Default

Question,

Can we still use our motherboards or will it damage our Hard Drives ( I have 3 SSD's hooked up to it).

Will our Hard Drives get damaged or will the motherboard just cease to recognise it's sata ports?

I'm not going to use my PC if it ends up damaging other parts. But I'm assuming it only affects the motherboard and that the sata ports will die and not recognize all the ports etc.
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2011, 08:32 PM
FiXT's Avatar
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: GVRD
Posts: 3,343

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I like how NCIX shipped my P8P67 Pro an hour after Linus made the post on the NCIX forums saying they were no longer selling them.
Lol. It was likely already in the box and on a truck. I talked to Linus this morning about it and they pretty much put an immediate shipping hold on every single LGA 1155 package, system and order that was supposed to go out the door until the issue is resolved and customers choose direction.


I also contacted both Canada Computers and TigerDirect

TD has informed me they have pulled their inventory of of P67 items as of this afternoon.
Canada Computers ignored our request. Kept referring me to their return policy
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2011, 08:42 PM
FiXT's Avatar
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: GVRD
Posts: 3,343

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdvox View Post
Question,

Can we still use our motherboards or will it damage our Hard Drives ( I have 3 SSD's hooked up to it).

Will our Hard Drives get damaged or will the motherboard just cease to recognise it's sata ports?

I'm not going to use my PC if it ends up damaging other parts. But I'm assuming it only affects the motherboard and that the sata ports will die and not recognize all the ports etc.
There is virtually no fear of data loss. The problem exists internally, within the SATA circuity of the chipset, so at worst you will simply loose the connection to all SATA 2 Ports (ports #2-5 typically), but it will not affect the devices hooked up to it at all.
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2011, 08:45 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,410

My System Specs

Default

FiXT: CC has a thread here, with no reply yet on what they would do:
Intel Sandy Bridge Chipset Design Issue

Hopefully the small community they have there can wake them up a little.
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2011, 08:51 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 8,114

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Lol. It was likely already in the box and on a truck. I talked to Linus this morning about it and they pretty much put an immediate shipping hold on every single LGA 1155 package, system and order that was supposed to go out the door until the issue is resolved and customers choose direction.
Well it wasn't picked up from NCIX until 8pm. Although I am very glad they still shipped the board out anyways. I would be severely PO'd if I had to wait another month to six weeks to get a working system.
__________________
Mael
Big Lian Li
Forever Alone
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2011, 09:09 PM
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kingston Ontario
Posts: 926
Default

I was planning on building another Sandy bridge system this week...don't really feel like waiting a couple months to get a mobo. To me this is a very minor issue... just use the unaffected ports till this get sorted out. I'll be at Canada Computers tomorrow morning... I'm sure they don't give a rat's a$$ about all of this and will sell me a board.
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2011, 09:21 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,410

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
I was planning on building another Sandy bridge system this week...don't really feel like waiting a couple months to get a mobo. To me this is a very minor issue... just use the unaffected ports till this get sorted out. I'll be at Canada Computers tomorrow morning... I'm sure they don't give a rat's a$$ about all of this and will sell me a board.
Thrash that system Boggsy with some 24/7 Bigadv folding. Hook er up to ports 2-5...I dare ya!

The heat and disk accesses will put the poor little southbridge to work! Probably a folder who discovered this in the first place
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fractal Design Announces Arc Series Case FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 24 December 21, 2010 06:13 PM
Asus Announces New B Series Notebook Design with Business Focus FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 0 August 9, 2010 04:49 PM
Someone tell me what the P57 Intel chipset is? bojangles CPU's and Motherboards 1 April 12, 2009 02:26 PM
Intel Tests Chip Design With 80-Core Processor Supergrover Press Releases & Tech News 0 February 16, 2007 01:19 PM