Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2011, 12:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I was just a Memory Express and they were frantically contacting customers who were waiting for a build and taking P67 down from shelves.
Old January 31, 2011, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wow that's not good at all. oh crap the panic begins
Old January 31, 2011, 12:15 PM

Just posted by Intel:

Chipset With Potential Problem - What To Do
posted by Kelly Feller on January 31, 2011

By now some of you may have heard that Intel representatives announced the discovery of a design problem in one of the companion chipsets to the Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ processors, code named “Sandy Bridge.” Because Intel is committed to providing our customers products of the highest quality, we have proactively identified the affected part, stopped shipment of the product, and have begun to manufacture a new version of the support chip which will resolve this issue.

This issue only affects the Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i5 and Core™ i7 quad core based systems that have been shipping since January 9th, 2011. If you believe your PC may contain the affected part please follow the instructions below.

How do I know if my PC contains the affected part? If you purchased your system before January 9th, 2011 you do not need to do anything else.

I’ve confirmed that my PC contains the part affected in this announcement. What should I do next? If you believe you may be affected by this issue, please contact your place of purchase or your PC manufacturer. Intel is working with our PC manufacturing partners on a warranty return solution.

What is the specific technical problem identified? The parts that contain this design flaw includes the Intel® 6 Series (and the Intel® C200 Series Chipset). In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. This issue does not affect the processor but only affects the supporting chipsets. Intel has implemented a silicon fix to this problem.

Where might I find more information about this issue? Intel is committed to communicating openly with our valued customers and partners regarding this issue. To better respond to your questions, we have implemented a live chat feature on our Intel Customer Support page. You are also encouraged to contact your PC Manufacturer for more information on any warranty return process.

We will post more information here as it becomes available.

Technology@Intel · Chipset With Potential Problem - What To Do
Old January 31, 2011, 12:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Since I bought mine is December, mine isn't affected. /jking. I suppose Intel is trying to avoid the masses from phoning in.
Old January 31, 2011, 12:48 PM
Associate Review Editor

Frankly, anyone who tries to swap their motherboard right now is being short-sighted, since they will be forced to sit on their hands for at least 2 months.

Use your motherboard until sometime in late April or even May, and then apply for an RMA since the turnaround time will be much shorter.
Old January 31, 2011, 12:50 PM

Agreed, no need to panic.
Old January 31, 2011, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You know, I was hoping to jump in the waggon soon. I think it will wait a bit:) Now only hope this is not going to put the price up. But one sure thing, many people wont buy 1156 and 1366. Thx intel.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 31, 2011, 01:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

more on this:

Quote:
Gigabyte, Newegg stop selling Sandy Bridge mobos
Gigabyte, Newegg stop selling Sandy Bridge mobos - The Tech Report
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 31, 2011, 01:59 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Complete details on the who's doing what here as well: Intel 6 Series Chipset Debacle: Manufacturer and Retailer Responses | Hardware Canucks
Old January 31, 2011, 02:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Wonder if Intel has to reallocate resources for the s2011 launch for this (ie. engineers, fab time, etc)? s2011 is a ways away, but I wonder if there are any repercussions for the next launch?
Fold for team #54196