Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2011, 11:40 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I have begun confirming with mobo partners: the Jan 9th date regards embargo lift. Hence why "sold since..." is part of the press release. This means that ALL boards that were or still are in the retail channel may have this issue. Some board partners will begin pulling their P67 boards from retailer shelves in the next day or so with more to follow soon after.

My recommendation at this point to any buyers of P67 boards is to ensure your SATA devices are NOT running directly off the chipset. While this may not be an option for everyone, it is a good way to tide you over until replacements are in the channel sometime in March / April.

However this flaw IS NOT fatal. It simply degrades performance.
Old January 31, 2011, 12:00 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

New Info: In an Intel Conference Call, the company has stated that ONLY SATA 2 Devices are affected, and SATA 3 is unaffected.

Failure rates of a modest 5% expected in a three year window for average users, but it could be up to 15% for heavy users.

Last edited by FiXT; January 31, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old January 31, 2011, 12:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
New Info: In an Intel Conference Call, the company has stated that ONLY SATA 2 Ports are affected, and SATA 3 is unaffected.

Failure rates of a modest 5% expected in a three year window for average users, but it could be up to 15% for heavy users.
That's some really good news, for now at least! I got 4 drives and EVO has 2 3rd party SATA 3 port, enough for now. Thanks FiXT!!
Old January 31, 2011, 12:23 PM
Rookie

First thought that popped into my head -- OMFG
Second -- AMD needed a break
Third -- HAHA early adopters
Fourth -- I would expect that most larger companies are still waiting for players such as dell, acer etc to package and distribute the full systems en mass. I happen to think that it has been the "enthusiast" who has been let down here. All the buzz for these SB chips was for the OC'in that could be done. 5GH on air!! And enthusiasts are nothing if not tech savvy, I think they will tend to lean towards understanding the situation and the negative reaction will be minimal.
-Chris
Old January 31, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sucks for SB but not that big a deal form my point of view anyways
Old January 31, 2011, 12:29 PM
Banned
F@H

also, what about the pins burning out with voltage?
any word on that or it was just a rumour? ;)
Old January 31, 2011, 12:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
also, what about the pins burning out with voltage?
any word on that or it was just a rumour? ;)
I believe that was one site making a mountain out of a molehill without researching heatsink pressure, etc before crying "the sky is falling!!!!"
Old January 31, 2011, 12:46 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Intel Provides More Details on the 6 Series Chipset Issues

In followup conference call this morning, Intel further detailed the extent of the Cougar Point chipset issues, hoping to keep consumers informed, and at the same time, put to rest the fears of a major catastrophe.While there is no denying that the issue surrounding the slow degradation of the 6 series chipset is concerning, Intel has stated that t... [ Read full article ]
Old January 31, 2011, 12:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Meh. I'll have to wait till summer to switch boards. I've been running my main drives on the Intel 6Gbps ports and just moved my DVD burner and storage drive over to the Marvel ports. I wonder if Asus would implement some system where we could exchange it at the retailer level and the retailer would send the affected boards back. That'd be great imo. But if we're to pay shipping , then this is going to piss me off.

Last edited by Deviant; January 31, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old January 31, 2011, 01:01 PM
Allstar

is that gone to turn like the first pentium ?