Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2011, 12:12 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
I will of course be hanging onto the system.. I have no recourse at all currently. Returning the motherboard and keeping the CPU would be pointless haha. I emailed Gigabyte for information in regards to the "waiver and registration" they require if we keep the B2 boards for RMA later, and received a generic response that I am encourged to return the board.. groan.

I suppose we'll see how things work out in the coming weeks. I may just chalk this up as a lost cause and abuse the living hell out of this rig to see how much I can get out of it... and get an ivy bridge later on.
Ya, it seems that board manufacturer's and retailers are at opposite ends of the spectrum on how to deal with this. The MFG's want users to return it so they can properly gage replacement requirements and to minimize the "rush and hassle" when the B3's come out. So they encourage users to return them right away.

Retailers on the other hand, are facing the return of entire systems and other components, of which they will have to take a loss because all the components are used, Not to mention, they are likely going to be selling the exact same thing, except brand new again, back to the customers in 2 months
So they want you to hang onto the system and replace the board when it comes back in.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:17 PM
Banned
F@H

question is, are the 'missing' sales going to amd or back to intel on their 'older' 1156 socket? :)
Old February 7, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Update today from Intel:

Intel Provides Update on Support Chip Design Issue

"Intel now expects to begin shipping the new parts in mid February"

I doubt that speeds anything up though. From shipping a chip to a total revamp of all stock can and will take months.
Old February 7, 2011, 03:25 PM
Allstar

"Intel is resuming shipments of the Intel® 6 Series Chipset for use only in PC system configurations that are not impacted by the design issue."

So We can presume a laptop with only 2 sata available, will not need and will not get a replacement.
Old February 8, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Intel ships Sandy Bridge chipsets again, but should you buy one? | Crave - CNET

Intel will resume shipping the older, flawed version, and pledged to work with system vendors to either eliminate or minimize customer exposure to the potential problem.
Old February 8, 2011, 08:36 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Intel ships Sandy Bridge chipsets again, but should you buy one? | Crave - CNET

Intel will resume shipping the older, flawed version, and pledged to work with system vendors to either eliminate or minimize customer exposure to the potential problem.
I sure hope they don't try to resolve it this way for people currently owning Sandy Bridge boards. If they just try to ship out PCIe SATA cards as a solution I would be a tad on the angry side.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Asus update:

Intel®6 Series Chipset Resolution

Quote:
ASUS Motherboards
ASUS has confirmed with Intel that the design error does not affect SATA ports 0 and 1, which are the SATA 6Gb/s capable ports. Additionally, ASUS as a leading motherboard designer and pioneer of new innovations offers extra SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s ports beyond Intel specifications on a wide range of motherboards. ASUS has provided an easy workaround solution to the Intel design issue here. Our standard warranty and terms of service are still in effect for the affected products.

However, if this workaround is not acceptable, a free product replacement program is available directly from ASUS. ASUS will provide free 2-way standard shipping and an equivalent/new product replacement with warranty renewal at time of replacement*.

Additionally, ASUS recommends contacting your E-tailer or place of purchase immediately (place of business from which you actually purchased the motherboard) for refund options if the workaround or direct replacement solution is not acceptable.

Intel®6 Series Chipset Resolution

Free product replacement

US and Canadian Customers: If you would like to have ASUS resolve this issue, free replacement service and 2-way standard shipping will be provided by ASUS. An equivalent/new product will be provided to the customer as part of this program and warranty renewal at the time of replacement*.

To return your affected product(s) for replacement please follow the steps here.

Three different return options will be offered upon the issuance and approval of the RMA as part of this return program.

1. ASUS will provide a cross-ship option that offers the customer the least amount of system downtime. Upon the receipt of a valid credit card number and approval, a temporary charge hold will be placed against the customer’s credit card for the MSRP value of the replacement product. The replacement product will be shipped to the customer and a prepaid label for return of the existing product will be provided. Upon return of the defective product and verification against the RMA, the temporary charge hold on the customer’s credit card will be lifted.
2. ASUS will provide an advanced tracking option that expedites the delivery of the replacement product compared to our standard return process. A prepaid label for return of the existing product will be provided by ASUS. A valid credit card number is required for this process. Upon notification that the defective product is marked as “In-Transit” at the carrier, ASUS will ship the replacement product to the customer. If the returned product does not match the RMA, a temporary charge hold will be placed against the customer’s credit card for the MSRP value of the product until resolution of the RMA, at which time the hold will be removed or the credit card charged for the MSRP value of the product.
3. ASUS will provide a standard shipping option. A prepaid label for return of the existing product will be provided by ASUS. Upon return of the product to ASUS and after verification of the product against the RMA, a replacement product will be shipped to the customer.
Old February 19, 2011, 04:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

AMD's undertaking an advertising campaign targeting Intel and Cougar Point, starting with enthusiast websites.

AMD Strikes at Intel's Chip Troubles with Ad Campaign | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Old February 21, 2011, 05:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For a change, Canada Computers is the first to update Cougar Point status. It seems the boards will be available again by mid April for most retailers, with some getting replacements out in a few weeks.

*UPDATE* For recent SandyBridge Chipset P67/H67 purchasers!