Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2011, 05:25 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Even better, engineering samples were completely unaffected by this, so there was no way any review sites could find out anything unless they went out and collected retail samples. Some bone headed engineer put that transistor there without even thinking and used it as the retail stepping.

You very quick on the conclusion. it's not the work of a guy it's a full team of engineers who work on those project. All the chipset have bugs, some are corrected with revision other never.
Old February 1, 2011, 05:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just received the following e-mail from NCIX. Glad to see they're contacting their affected customers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCIX
Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for your recent purchase of theAsus P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard.

Intel announced there is an issue with their P67/H67 chipsets that can cause the SATA 3.0Gb/s controller to fail over time. NCIX has put in place the following measures to ensure that our customers who have already bought standalone motherboards are appropriately cared for.

For additional information and updates on the issue, please visit our forum at the link provided below.

NCIX FORUMS - NCIX Announcement Thread: Intel LGA1155...

Thanks,
NCIX.com Customer Care Team
Old February 2, 2011, 04:00 PM
Jeff942

Default Intel Chipset Flaw

I just received my new Dll XPS 8300 apparently with the chipset flaw. I called Dell and they said they will accept an exchange, return or I can wait for a replacment at no charge to me. After much research I have decided to keep my system and wait it out. I have a two year warranty and I only have two SATA devices which are connected on ports 0 and 1 which I understand are not affected. I have no plans to install additional SATA devices in the near futrue. I really can't afford the downtime of returning the system at this point unless I want to exchange it for an AMD system. I also think the failure is unlikely at least in the near term from what I've read. Am I making the right decision or stupid for not returning the system?
Old February 2, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff942 View Post
Am I making the right decision or stupid for not returning the system?
It looks like you've done your research and you're correct that if you're only attaching to the "unaffected" ports you won't notice any issues. (so you only have one hard drive and one optical?) I'd just verify with your computer's service manual that you are indeed only connected to unaffected ports, and if so, just use your computer as normal.
Also it looks like your decision was made when you said you can't afford the downtime. Get the system serviced when you can, but don't get all concerned about it especially when you won't even see the issue.
Old February 3, 2011, 05:44 PM
Jeff942

Default Intel Chipset Flaw - Update

Thanks frontier204 - Update - Dell has responded and will offer refunds, exchanges, or mobo replacements for all affected customers at their location. Can't ask for much more than that.
Old February 3, 2011, 06:18 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff942 View Post
Thanks frontier204 - Update - Dell has responded and will offer refunds, exchanges, or mobo replacements for all affected customers at their location. Can't ask for much more than that.
Good to hear that Dell is full supporting this, though no one could expect much less.

As Frontier mentioned, there really is not harm in keeping the system, and dealing with the issue when replacements arrive, and in my opinion, after the initial rush subsides.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Canada Computers Richmond Hill location's stance as of today is that they are accepting returns on motherboards ONLY, for store credit ONLY. They are apparently still waiting for information/announcements from Intel or mobo manufacturers, and cannot even guarentee until what date they will accept returns beyond their regular 14 day period for.

Store credit. Stuck with CPU.

Can't really say I have anyone to blame but myself for this kind of service/support, it was my choice to buy early from Canada Computers. Hopefully the lesson to not purchase from them will stick this time around!

I'll have to see what Gigabyte's own policies are closer to the date.

Old February 7, 2011, 08:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

This is why I stopped buying from CC, their customer service sucks!
Ncix is far better when it comes to customer service.
Old February 7, 2011, 10:24 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
Canada Computers Richmond Hill location's stance as of today is that they are accepting returns on motherboards ONLY, for store credit ONLY. They are apparently still waiting for information/announcements from Intel or mobo manufacturers, and cannot even guarentee until what date they will accept returns beyond their regular 14 day period for.

Store credit. Stuck with CPU.

Can't really say I have anyone to blame but myself for this kind of service/support, it was my choice to buy early from Canada Computers. Hopefully the lesson to not purchase from them will stick this time around!

I'll have to see what Gigabyte's own policies are closer to the date.

Ouch!
Honestly, I would recommend just hanging onto the entire system. There is little to NO risk of any data loss, or even of the system going down. 5% failure rate which is average across electronics. And because it is a fail over time, users are unlikely to notice anything in the immediate future.

I've heard quite a few people say, I want to return it because I will be able to buy it cheaper when it is fixed and work....Let's be realistic, when these boards are re-released, you WON'T be saving money.

The CPU's will continue to be the same price, if not higher, and I FULLY expect the MSRP of the boards to either be slightly higher to cover costs, or not experience the usual 4 month+- price drop after release.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I will of course be hanging onto the system.. I have no recourse at all currently. Returning the motherboard and keeping the CPU would be pointless haha. I emailed Gigabyte for information in regards to the "waiver and registration" they require if we keep the B2 boards for RMA later, and received a generic response that I am encourged to return the board.. groan.

I suppose we'll see how things work out in the coming weeks. I may just chalk this up as a lost cause and abuse the living hell out of this rig to see how much I can get out of it... and get an ivy bridge later on.