Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2011, 12:51 AM
FredDurstIsStillCool

I still wouldn't buy one. Just little things that never work right. My ULI chipset board (can't remember the model) never worked with 1T RAM timings. Maybe it seems like a small thing, but it also wasn't a "great" overclocker either. Just was never quite right.

That said, it was unique in that it supported AGP and PCIe...
Old January 29, 2011, 01:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll keep them in mind for cheap builds :)
Old January 30, 2011, 01:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Some people say they're owned by Asus while others say they're an off shoot private company of their own now. What's the real story?
Old January 30, 2011, 02:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by writhen View Post
Some people say they're owned by Asus while others say they're an off shoot private company of their own now. What's the real story?
ASRock started out as an OEM motherboard line to push ECS and Foxconn out of the market, it quickly became an official independent subsidiary due to its relatively quick success. AsusTEK, Unihan, and Pegatron on the other hand are the 3 companies that make up "Asus." Everything mentioned above is owned by the same people.
Old January 30, 2011, 03:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
ASRock started out as an OEM motherboard line to push ECS and Foxconn out of the market, it quickly became an official independent subsidiary due to its relatively quick success. AsusTEK, Unihan, and Pegatron on the other hand are the 3 companies that make up "Asus." Everything mentioned above is owned by the same people.
Interesting. Thanks for the info, I never really understood why there were so many offshoot companies. It makes sense to have a higher end brand and a well priced mid range/lower end brand, but 3+ brands just seems like overkill.
Old January 30, 2011, 10:50 AM
Arikomagik

Default Asrock 4 ever ?

hi guys !

I'm asrock user since 8 years now.
I build about 7 pc based on asrock card : Intel chipset always.

For the moment i use a the P45TS board with E8400 + 8Go DDR3 Gskill CL7 + msi graphics 8600GT OC under Linux Fedora 14.
No problems with Asrock stuff ! An incompatible issu with Twintech gfx boards 3 years ago...
Asrock boards are secure about overclock with a boot guard and easy settings. I can critique the documentation not enough detaisl about bios settings for exemple DDR settings or pci busmaster stuff etc... no explanation on their site about impact of such settings...

I recommande Asrock for the price / quality / support. I contact them about CPU compatibility for my ex Xfire-esata2 board and the informations was helpfull about 45nm incompatible cpu before buying it.

I like msi for the gfx board fully compatible but look for evga next ( gtx560 ti :) ).

For info ASrock / Asus is the same business... The difference Asrock was created for low quality MoBo for commercial competition with msi and elite about price / quality.

May i suggest if you buy asrock to take Intel chipset and the board with best quality capacitors.

Hope this was interresting :)

Bye from France !! :)

See ya !!