Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2011, 11:36 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default OCZ Announces the Z-Drive R3 PCI-Express SD With Virtualized Controller Architecture

OCZ Technology Group, Inc., announces the latest Z-Drive R3 PCI-Express SSD solution for enterprise and OEM clients. Showcased for the first time at CES 2011, the Z-Drive R3 updates the existing lineup with greater performance, reliability, and design flexibility with a new compact footprint for server applications, and is the first SSD to official... [ Read full article ]
Old January 27, 2011, 11:46 AM

My System Specs

Still waiting on a manufacturer besides Fusion-IO to bring native PCIe SSD's to the table.
Old January 27, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah but does your Fusion-IO have TRIM...or is even bootable?

Reread that article and notice of this little nugget: "...makes use of VCA technology, clients can now overcome this obstacle and deploy a single solid state drive that not only delivers exceptional bandwidth but also beneficial enterprise features including TRIM".

IF it does indeed have TRIM support, that is AMAZING news!

It also uses enterpriseMLC (eMLC) which is good for 30K writes, so while its not as durable as SLC (let alone eSLC good for 300K)...its a heck of a lot cheaper YET still much more durable than standard (5-10k writes) MLC.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 27, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old January 27, 2011, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Man do I ever want one of these, but I'm guessing the price will be very high. Anyone have word on the price of these?

Old January 27, 2011, 10:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Minecraft anyone?
Old January 27, 2011, 11:03 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yeah but does your Fusion-IO have TRIM...or is even bootable?

It also uses enterpriseMLC (eMLC) which is good for 30K writes, so while its not as durable as SLC (let alone eSLC good for 300K)...its a heck of a lot cheaper YET still much more durable than standard (5-10k writes) MLC.
TRIM, yes. Bootable, no.

Isn't eMLC have considerably lower small file write performance compared to MLC? Maybe this is why OCZ is offering a normal MLC verison as well.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:22 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

When linked to a single controller yes, its performance is lower (though that may change as controller mfger's learn to work with its different characteristics), but when you link it to two or more controllers? I'd say that it easily makes up for this small dip and then some. Personally my guess is the emlc and mlc variants are targeted at slightly different markets (and price points). Of course only time will tell for sure on all of this, but it is interesting times indeed :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 29, 2011, 08:36 AM

My System Specs

Well it doesn't support TRIM at the moment according to Ryder @ OCZ.

Technical Discussion OCZ Z-drive R3 supports TRIM !! OCZ invented the RAID controller that supports TRIM !