Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2011, 01:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You are joking right? The dyson fan is full of hype that its not even funny, it doesnt even work that well in the real world and is not as effecient as impellar desig fans...pr or no pr but mainly the reason it is foolish is a) the real fan in that "fan" is the size of the base b) the ring is NOT enclosed like it would be in a gpu c) the ring has no obstructions to increase static pressure requirements

A makes it a moot "argument" while b + c make it impractical as the "air multiplier" "technology" would fall flat on its face once you stick fricking COOLING FINS (you know the whole point of the air movement) in its way.

This doesnt even consider the fact that the fan would then cost more than a typical fan and thus be even more impractical a solution. Good engineering is not just making fancy toys, its make fancy toys as CHEAPLY as possible.

Edit
Its kind of amazing. This was a foolish argument when Cmet said it and now its just getting absurd. Amd is about to make their own Vacum cleaner and I for one cant wait to see the and fanbois try and wiffle and waffle over it...just like the NV fanobis did a couple years ago when NV did it. Nothing more nothing less.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 31, 2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old January 31, 2011, 03:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Geez...you'd think that by dropping $600-700 on a video card, you'd get a proper cooler...
Well, it's an interesting topic...really. I don't AMD engineers are fools. If they want to sell some of those cards, they'll have to make sure it's not a complete fail, or a THERMI....(GTX480 heat/noise aspect)...

Also, a lot of people might Crossfire HD6950s 2GB or 1GB variants for cheaper and maybe better performance...

Quote:
YMMV, but this looks to be either just a mockup (notice the cut outs are for dual 8 pin ports but its 1 six + 1 eight shown in the pic)
Good catch AKG! This heatsink/prototype might be out on a purpose for people to speculate....more than anything else....
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 31, 2011, 05:23 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The entire point of that fan setup is to give as much cooling as possible to the two GPUs. In effect, this means air circulation will run parallel to the PCB in both directions. This will lead to hot air being exhasuted into the case in a direction that contradicts with the natural airflow patterns of most enclosures.

However, a design such as this is meant for one thing only: to properly cool two GPUs on a single PCB. In terms of design, I have always found NVIDIA's approach with two PCBs in a sandwich layout to be more effective for proper cooling but if Antilles ends up looking like that, it seems to be a step in the right direction.
Old January 31, 2011, 06:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The entire point of that fan setup is to give as much cooling as possible to the two GPUs. In effect, this means air circulation will run parallel to the PCB in both directions. This will lead to hot air being exhasuted into the case in a direction that contradicts with the natural airflow patterns of most enclosures.

However, a design such as this is meant for one thing only: to properly cool two GPUs on a single PCB. In terms of design, I have always found NVIDIA's approach with two PCBs in a sandwich layout to be more effective for proper cooling but if Antilles ends up looking like that, it seems to be a step in the right direction.

This is done much the same way as the GTX295 Co-Op edition card, which was not as effective as the early generation 295 or the GX2. So I would tend to agree. I feel though that the newer cores running cooler and possibly down-clocked would in effect mitigate any loss in performace to this new fan setup.

Time will tell however, and of course how restrictive the actually fin arrays are.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 31, 2011, 10:03 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
If this is indeed the case then I will seriously be considering alternative coolers for this card or forgo the 6990 altogether in favor of two non-reference 6970s. And I have a feeling that many will follow suit...
Old January 31, 2011, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I can't believe the amount responses about the fan. Oh well...add one more.

SHORT ANSWER: Centrifugal fans always suck are in the centre of the fan and blow it outward (to the sides). Since its located in the middle of this graphics card I think its safe to assume its between the 2 GPUs and therefore will blow half the hot air out of the case and half the hot air into the case (each direction is the heat from one GPU).
Old January 31, 2011, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

I would say that anyone who can afford to crossfire these at ~$1500 should also be able to afford a couple of waterblocks (Guessing $125 each) and the cooling system to go with it.

If you're not planning to crossfire them you might as well stick with a pair of 6950s or 6970s to get the same or a better job done.