Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2011, 08:57 PM
Banned
F@H

lets see

Centrifugal fan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but what happens if you hole up the other side on the horizontal axis? :)
Old January 30, 2011, 08:58 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
It might be speculation but thats a squirrel cage blower. Its my understanding (might be wrong) but squirrel cage blowers can NOT suck in air in the same axis it exhausts. Those fans need to suck in from the top and bottom and blow out the front and back. Cant do both suck in the front and push it out the back. Thus making your idea Cmet..impossible....just like a certain low count poster said (and good going, trying and scare off / bully / insinuate / etc low post count posters there Cmet. :/)
Hmmm, I thought that with a shroud it was possible, i might be wrong tho. My paint skills arent quite up to the task of drawing what i mean, but oh well. Did i scare someone off? I dont trust too many low posters when they drop 5 or more consecutive posts on varying threads... But I digress. Ill just stay On Topic and continue.

Edit:
Very nice find dangtx. Now, if you take the second Gif (the green one) and open up the top on the other side... picture one heatsink before and one after... that was my thought on it... It will suck air from BOTH the first GPU side and from around its hub....

Last edited by CMetaphor; January 30, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Very nice find dangtx. Now, if you take the second Gif (the green one) and open up the top on the other side... picture one heatsink before and one after... that was my thought on it... It will suck air from BOTH the first GPU side and from around its hub....
Unlikely. Seems to me more like it would blow out both sides.
Exhausting out the back of your PC as well as into your PC.

*Edit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
Geez...you'd think that by dropping $600-700 on a video card, you'd get a proper cooler...
I might argue that you are not supposed to use the stock cooler but it should at least some with something good.

And could somebody please buy CMeta one of these?

Last edited by MacJunky; January 30, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The gas enters from the side of the fan wheel, turns 90 degrees and accelerates due to centrifugal force as it flows over the fan blades and exits the fan housing.
It's simply not possible to suck air in from the edges of the card with this kind of fan design. You would either need to reorient the fan on a different axis or use a different fan altogether.

Centrifugal force pushes air away from the centre of the fan, causing air to get sucked in from the bearing axis and thrown out the axis horizontal to it. Centripetal force from the shroud causes the air to blow in a specific direction, if you were to open up a hole at the top on the other side, you would merely create another exhaust.
Old January 30, 2011, 10:12 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
It's simply not possible to suck air in from the edges of the card with this kind of fan design. You would either need to reorient the fan on a different axis or use a different fan altogether.

Centrifugal force pushes air away from the centre of the fan, causing air to get sucked in from the bearing axis and thrown out the axis horizontal to it. Centripetal force from the shroud causes the air to blow in a specific direction, if you were to open up a hole at the top on the other side, you would merely create another exhaust.

there you go. picture a balloon, with a hole on whatever side.

air goes in by the filler, out by the hole.

now make another hole, its going to exit there too

one may find out the hard way while modding expensive nautical items :)

now, the 1900xt or such pictured by mr junky up there shows a blower with a different

feeding configuration.
Old January 30, 2011, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
now, the 1900xt or such pictured by mr junky up there shows a blower with a different feeding configuration.
It is actually pretty similar really.
Instead of pulling air from through a hole in the shroud all it does is pull air through a duct containing a heatsink between it and the card.

You could do the same thing with the current cooler by making the blower thinner and then flipping it around and giving it a little more ducting around the sides(and covering the external hole in the shroud) to help the flow go where you want it.

Would it be worth it? Probably not since you would be reducing the surface area of the blower's blades by like, half.
Old January 30, 2011, 11:36 PM
Banned
F@H

hmm..so if one were to cover the top intake, you're saying it would,on paper at least, not do much?
Old January 31, 2011, 12:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
hmm..so if one were to cover the top intake, you're saying it would,on paper at least, not do much?
If you cover the intake on the shroud and leave the fan as-is then it has no intake and is not going to do much of anything. That is not what I am talking about.

I was saying if you made the 6990's fan/blowerthingy thinner then flipped it around so that it took in air from between it and the PCB... It would still work but at less capacity than the full size that it once was. It would work but not that well, but it would do what CMeta was hoping it would do.
Old January 31, 2011, 01:17 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

In theory yeah I can see that. In practice what your saying wouldnt be enough to cool two gpus. Not enough air flow. The second gpu would bake itself (or at least self throttle to the point of being all but useless).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 31, 2011, 01:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

YouTube - Air Multiplier

just engineering to make it small and fit into that vhs...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.