Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2011, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hey rooster, how is the 27" monitor?

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 30, 2011, 08:28 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
What's with all those DP ports?! Don't they know most people's monitors take DVI and HDMI?! At least bundle in some conversion adapters! And what's with the tiny single fan? The Radeon 6000 series cards do run relatively cool for their performance but come on - even a single 6870 was audible at mid load. How is that little fan supposed to keep up with TWO, faster, hotter cores?!
Partners will more than likely provide at least two adapters for 3 screen eyefinity, we dont know yet what will be offered for sure though.

The fan, unless im mistaken, is far larger than it appears because it is a different style fan that will draw cold air from the very back edge of the card (*See picture*), across the first GPU core as a "Pull" fan would in a water cooling setup (obviously using a vapor chamber in this case), then force the air past the second GPU and out the back of the case.

If this IS the case, then I find no problems with it at all. The first GPU will be nicely cooled by drawing in cold air from the front portion of the case, where most air intakes are, and the second will have a combination of the warmer air from the first GPU and whatever cool air gets drawn in from the open portion of the fab hub.

Lets wait and see to be certain though.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:01 PM
FredDurstIsStillCool

Looks like exactly the same fan, and it would be physically impossible for that fan to use the back of the card as an intake... Looks like this will be a 7900GTX style cooler.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:13 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDurstIsStillCool View Post
Looks like exactly the same fan, and it would be physically impossible for that fan to use the back of the card as an intake... Looks like this will be a 7900GTX style cooler.
Do you have any facts to back that up? or are you posting to reach 25 in a hurry?...
Old January 30, 2011, 09:22 PM
Banned
F@H

if meta's theory is correct, than that is one devil of a turbine right there. and usually those come in with ear busting entrances.
though that power plug configuration of 6+8 pins has haunted me for the last little while. i was expecting to see the dual 8 pin
show up on pictures around the web. really have no idea to get it out like that, but i guess less is better, in some areas :)

ps if we see a for sale thread..maybe you're right there too :p
Old January 30, 2011, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AMD Radeon HD 6990 Pictured Up Close | techPowerUp

TLDR: It's a blower style fan exhausting out both ends. People thought it sucked air from the back before because AMD gave crappy pictures.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:42 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Might be wrong, but this design looks to be A) loud B) stuff a crap ton of heat INTO your case without C) reducing the core temps compared to a stock fan (think MSI TF desing with its larger fans that do exhaust into the case BUT lower the temps and lower the noise profile).

YMMV, but this looks to be either just a mockup (notice the cut outs are for dual 8 pin ports but its 1 six + 1 eight shown in the pic) or AMD is REALLY grasping at straws and its looks to be FULL of fail.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 30, 2011, 09:44 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

The TPU article is also speculation at this point, since no one has seen one of these things running yet
And altho i agree that TPU's theory is more likely, i just hope that AMD hasn't decided to make the first ever reference card (in recent memory at least) that dumps hot air into a case.

All the same, cant wait to find out what this thing can do.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
The TPU article is also speculation at this point, since no one has seen one of these things running yet
And altho i agree that TPU's theory is more likely, i just hope that AMD hasn't decided to make the first ever reference card (in recent memory at least) that dumps hot air into a case.

All the same, cant wait to find out what this thing can do.
It might be speculation but thats a squirrel cage blower. Its my understanding (might be wrong) but squirrel cage blowers can NOT suck in air in the same axis it exhausts. Those fans need to suck in from the top and bottom and blow out the front and back. Cant do both suck in the front and push it out the back. Thus making your idea Cmet..impossible....just like a certain low count poster said (and good going, trying and scare off / bully / insinuate / etc low post count posters there Cmet. :/)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 30, 2011, 09:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Hey rooster, how is the 27" monitor?
I am in LOVE with this monitor. The brightness and contrast are very impressive. The lighting is VERY even. Sure, you can always have SEVERAL of these monitors. But while I am still poor, I'll settle for just one. It's a very nice experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
AMD Radeon HD 6990 Pictured Up Close | techPowerUp

TLDR: It's a blower style fan exhausting out both ends. People thought it sucked air from the back before because AMD gave crappy pictures.
What's with OEM manufacturers shipping cards with BARE minimum cooling. It was like that with the Radeon 4850 like 1-2 years ago. The 4870 had a better heatpipe cooler but the 4850 (especially by Sapphire, Visiontek, Diamond, etc) had this crappy single-slot solid copper cooler which BARELY kept temps within specifications. I remember there were people with lower end cases who had artifacting cards even at stock clocks and voltage.

MUST you save $3? Can we please have a proper vapor-chamber cooler with at least 2 fans? If you're going to have to exhaust the heat into the case, that's fine. But at least make SURE the dual GPUs are visibly benefiting from that design.

Geez...you'd think that by dropping $600-700 on a video card, you'd get a proper cooler...
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit