Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2011, 11:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Canadian Internet

ISP Bandwidth Caps - STEAM's fiercest competitor? - Steam Users' Forums

Last edited by enzo matrix; January 22, 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old January 23, 2011, 02:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah

They can't compete so they raise prices.

Then we get caps

Then we'll get commercials or something

Then ultimately we'll pay extra for a service that is unlimited and doesn't have commercials, just like people do for movie channels and, believe it or not, radio.
Old January 23, 2011, 05:33 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, isn't there a difference between Steam's download packet size and the "install size" they list? I was under the impression that the files downloaded were compressed so that 30GB game he is talking about likely needs between 10-15GB of bandwidth.
Old January 23, 2011, 08:21 AM
Top Prospect

I hate canadian internet so much. it could be worse though, lol. I am really peeved at my ISP as of lately. I use Shaw cable. There was 4 of us living in our house, so we had shaw extreme at first. It was costing us $50 for 15 down and only 1 up. It worked ok for us, but we noticed we were going over our bandwidth limit. they gave us 150GB and we were using 170... so being good customers, we decided to upgrade to the warp package. This gave us 50 down and 3 up, and 250 GB/month for $100. Well, only 2 or 3 months after we had that, they altered their plans. guess what they did? they lowered the bandwidth limit of their plans! the 250 now went to 175!!! basically, if we arent careful of the internet we use now, we'll go over AGAIN! We were good customers and upgraded, but then they turn around and screw us big time! so basically, we are paying double and aren't even getting the bandwidth we need anymore. if there was another decent ISP in this country, I would switch immediately, but none of them seem to be any better.

Another thing? where is the fiber optic internet? An ISP with a 15 up and 15 down plan with 200GB/month would be just perfect IMO. Uploading videos to youtube, or using programs like teamviewer would be a hell of a lot better! I would love if verizon fios came to canada!

/rant
Old January 23, 2011, 09:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoth View Post
I hate canadian internet so much. it could be worse though, lol. I am really peeved at my ISP as of lately. I use Shaw cable. There was 4 of us living in our house, so we had shaw extreme at first. It was costing us $50 for 15 down and only 1 up. It worked ok for us, but we noticed we were going over our bandwidth limit. they gave us 150GB and we were using 170... so being good customers, we decided to upgrade to the warp package. This gave us 50 down and 3 up, and 250 GB/month for $100. Well, only 2 or 3 months after we had that, they altered their plans. guess what they did? they lowered the bandwidth limit of their plans! the 250 now went to 175!!! basically, if we arent careful of the internet we use now, we'll go over AGAIN! We were good customers and upgraded, but then they turn around and screw us big time! so basically, we are paying double and aren't even getting the bandwidth we need anymore. if there was another decent ISP in this country, I would switch immediately, but none of them seem to be any better.

Another thing? where is the fiber optic internet? An ISP with a 15 up and 15 down plan with 200GB/month would be just perfect IMO. Uploading videos to youtube, or using programs like teamviewer would be a hell of a lot better! I would love if verizon fios came to canada!

/rant
CRTC. pretty much a plague this thing is.
Old January 23, 2011, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^^so very true
Old January 23, 2011, 10:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm getting a little long in the tooth here, because I remember signing up for Roger's cable internet when it was shiny and new and marketed with no download caps. Heck, we even had static IPs back then.

How is it that 10+ years later the only infrastructure improvements have been fiber lines around Toronto while for DSL and cable the caps keep getting tighter while the prices go up? If I signed up for Videotron's high-end cable service here in Montreal and actually used the available transfer speeds I would run over my cap within a few hours. What I want the CRTC to report on is just what capacity the lines are running at; unless they're at 95%+ usage it's absolute balderdash to have the caps we live with.

I'm on Teksavvy DSL now, in an old building getting 2.5 Mbps, so the 200 GB cap isn't really a ceiling I often get near, but I also have to assume that recent CRTC decisions will be reflected soon in Teksavvy needing to increase prices, tighten the caps, or both.
Old January 23, 2011, 01:46 PM
MVP

Once caps are lowered to the point on nonexistence...they will just start charging per meg...then start putting the cost per meg up. Don't you just love the greed in this world...

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old January 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Can't get nuff of that unlimited bandwidth! Gotta love eastlink for now I'm on the 15mbps plan but get the 30mbps connection cause I used to have the 100mbps line and they never did swap me back for the old modem so I'm pretty happy. And to top it all off my nets only $10 a month with my digital cable bundle, pay about $120 a month for about 600 channels about 50-60 in HD and a free movie bundle so it's pretty nice :)
Old January 23, 2011, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Eastilnk rocks for Internet and Cable.