Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
People seem to have turned a blind eye to the fact that several ISPs have actually INCREASED their caps or have added additional blocks of bandwidth to protect users from overage fees. Videotron is increasing bandwidth usage on a number of their plans as of Jan 31st and Bell will likely be doing the same (though their overage protection recently increased from 35GB / $5 to 40GB / $5).
"Additional blocks" = overage fees with different name.

And as you just pointed out, nothing to stop them from increasing the prices of those too.
Old January 24, 2011, 11:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
No. In a capitalistic competitive market, other ISP would have a competitive field and thus lowering cost and adding better quality service. The CRTC is governed by a group of socialites that are in turn, controlled by Rogers and Bell - this is protectionism.

Canadians pay the highest cell phone and internet rates in the entire world.

The CRTC has to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
here here down with the crtc so we can have other options gets my vote.
Considering that the big ISPs own the infrastructure, and that it was the CRTC themselves who forced those big ISPs to allow the competition to get access to that infrastructure I can't see that either of these viewpoints is going to further your wish for unfettered internet access.

I don't see any competitors to Bell/Rogers falling over themselves looking for approval to install their own infrastructure, and without the CRTC, the current competion wouldn't have any infrastructure access at all.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 24, 2011, 11:55 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoohki View Post
The best places for internet in the world are like South Korea (100mbits around 30$), New Zeland, Holland, Japan .
Not sure about New Zealand being one of the best places for the Internet. I am paying $80 a month for 40gb. Not bad I guess considering back in oct 2004 it was 1gb/month. But they did come out with 10gb/month in nov/04. Lol 1gb a month....roughly 33megs a day.

That 1 gb a month...I managed to get it up'd to the 10gb plan ( mid billing period). However the automatic billing process wasn't adjusted to 10gb/month. Back in 04 when you went over the cap, they charged 20 cents a Meg, which worked out to $200 a gig. I happily download to my 10 gig cap.

Get my first bill - $1800.00 ....fortunately I was able to sort it out. But I bet Rogers and Bell would love to bend the customer over and rape that ever month.

Caps in NZ seem to be slowly up....I think there are 5...6 maybe more isp's in NZ, for a population of 4 million.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old January 24, 2011, 12:21 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Can't get nuff of that unlimited bandwidth! Gotta love eastlink for now I'm on the 15mbps plan but get the 30mbps connection cause I used to have the 100mbps line and they never did swap me back for the old modem so I'm pretty happy. And to top it all off my nets only $10 a month with my digital cable bundle, pay about $120 a month for about 600 channels about 50-60 in HD and a free movie bundle so it's pretty nice :)
Their site lists a bandwidth cap. Do they not enforce this? How much have you done in a month. I do ~500GB a month w/ telus at the moment.
Old January 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Their site lists a bandwidth cap. Do they not enforce this? How much have you done in a month. I do ~500GB a month w/ telus at the moment.
They do not.

Our Eastlink rep said himself that because the lack of users on the 30 and 100 in Grande Prairie they aren't worried yet about bandwidth limits as they enforce the limits when people complain about slow speeds in their neighborhood and if you read the fine print at the bottom of the page they also state that the 5 and 15 packages will not be subject to monitoring as well.

I myself will see this once I get connected come Tuesday next week and start sucking the life of my connection
Old January 24, 2011, 12:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm assuming that Eastlink out west is the same company as Eastlink in NS/NB. Best ISP/Cable/Phone company I've ever dealt with. Perfect example of a smaller company who use their own infrastructure.

Really wish they were available here in Moncton.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 24, 2011, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm assuming that Eastlink out west is the same company as Eastlink in NS/NB. Best ISP/Cable/Phone company I've ever dealt with. Perfect example of a smaller company who use their own infrastructure.

Really wish they were available here in Moncton.
Yah Eastlink came to Alberta and bought out Persona and upgraded the entire infrastructure. And since the only official cable company in northern Alberta is Eastlink with Telus as the secondary provider of television then the satellite companies.. there really isn't no competition.
Old January 24, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I have been saying this for a while and I will say it again: internet pricing here in Canada isn't all that bad. If you want bad, look to Australia where by brother just moved. They get completely screwed and have additional territorial limitations regarding the sites that can actually visit. If you want to see where Canadians are being screwed, look no further than cell phone plans.
Have you seen global internet pricing? Now I do know that this is from October 2009 and yes prices do change and have changed, but you can't tell me that we don't have bad pricing. And yes I know Australia is bad but at the price per Mbps they were technically cheaper than us.

Don't get me wrong I know you happen to be in one of the few places that can get fiber and therefore happen to have a great plan, but by and large most in this country do not have that privilege.

Old January 24, 2011, 02:04 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
They do not.

Our Eastlink rep said himself that because the lack of users on the 30 and 100 in Grande Prairie they aren't worried yet about bandwidth limits as they enforce the limits when people complain about slow speeds in their neighborhood and if you read the fine print at the bottom of the page they also state that the 5 and 15 packages will not be subject to monitoring as well.

I myself will see this once I get connected come Tuesday next week and start sucking the life of my connection

Although their TV still doesn't look like a great price from looking at their website.
Old January 24, 2011, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

Although their TV still doesn't look like a great price from looking at their website.
You gotta look at their bundles.

$120 for internet, tv and phone. Or pay another $10 on top and get 30mbps so for $130 you get all three.

Or do you mean by channels available?