Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2011, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Can't get nuff of that unlimited bandwidth! Gotta love eastlink for now I'm on the 15mbps plan but get the 30mbps connection cause I used to have the 100mbps line and they never did swap me back for the old modem so I'm pretty happy. And to top it all off my nets only $10 a month with my digital cable bundle, pay about $120 a month for about 600 channels about 50-60 in HD and a free movie bundle so it's pretty nice :)
Wow that pretty good wished they where in BC, we need more competition out here in hopes that they all drop there prices.
Old January 23, 2011, 09:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
Once caps are lowered to the point on nonexistence...they will just start charging per meg...then start putting the cost per meg up. Don't you just love the greed in this world...
More like don't you just love capitalism. Capitalism needs to die and then this wouldn't happen.

Internet is getting cheaper every day yet they are increasing the prices almost every day. Soon it is going to be like cell phone internet where you pay $30 for 3gb of data.

Even if the current cable lines are near capacity it is the companies job to expand its infrastructure as it gets more customers.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 23, 2011, 10:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
More like don't you just love capitalism. Capitalism needs to die and then this wouldn't happen.

Internet is getting cheaper every day yet they are increasing the prices almost every day. Soon it is going to be like cell phone internet where you pay $30 for 3gb of data.

Even if the current cable lines are near capacity it is the companies job to expand its infrastructure as it gets more customers.
I do think companies should make a profit.....but it is starting to look more like rape the customer for whatever they can.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old January 24, 2011, 04:52 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post

No. In a capitalistic competitive market, other ISP would have a competitive field and thus lowering cost and adding better quality service. The CRTC is governed by a group of socialites that are in turn, controlled by Rogers and Bell - this is protectionism.

Canadians pay the highest cell phone and internet rates in the entire world.

The CRTC has to go.

CHEERS
Old January 24, 2011, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

here here down with the crtc so we can have other options gets my vote.
Old January 24, 2011, 08:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The best places for internet in the world are like South Korea (100mbits around 30$), New Zeland, Holland, Japan etc..

We have (me and my coloc) 50mbits/125g per month plan with videotron in Montreal. It's pricy (81$) but we split. We usually use 60-80g per month (witch consist of Wow, Steam downloads and Youtube mostly). (Soon it will be 60/150 as of Feb 1). We don't have cable TV (it's basically youtube) so we don't have to pay for that (witch is overpriced too btw)..

I usually top my connection, unless it's a steam sale and it's Xmas LOL!

I see a lot of places in the US that are a little remote (not in big city) and pay 50$ for 15/30gig witch is a lot. The US is a very weird market with a LOT of different price based on where you are, maybe it's the same in Canada, i don't know..
Old January 24, 2011, 08:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I have a Bell fiber connection. It's 25 down and 5 up, and no bandwidth cap. I'm pleased with it.
Old January 24, 2011, 08:53 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Personally, I use Bell Fibe 16 + the optional overage padding. That means I am getting 115 GB for $45 per month (it's part of a bundle with ExpressVu HD + telephone) which is absolutely perfect for me and I am never even close to that usage.

People seem to have turned a blind eye to the fact that several ISPs have actually INCREASED their caps or have added additional blocks of bandwidth to protect users from overage fees. Videotron is increasing bandwidth usage on a number of their plans as of Jan 31st and Bell will likely be doing the same (though their overage protection recently increased from 35GB / $5 to 40GB / $5).

I have been saying this for a while and I will say it again: internet pricing here in Canada isn't all that bad. If you want bad, look to Australia where by brother just moved. They get completely screwed and have additional territorial limitations regarding the sites that can actually visit. If you want to see where Canadians are being screwed, look no further than cell phone plans.
Old January 24, 2011, 09:43 AM
Top Prospect

Personally, I have a hard time using more than 30 GB/mo but I understand the frustration over the prices. There will definitely be a break even point for people without TVs whom DL games and shows (students come to mind).

Speaking of cell phone plans, I can't find one that gives you ~250-500 LD (province wide really) minutes/VM/CID/Unlimited Incoming for under $40/month. No sales rep ever understands that, "No, I'm not interested in texting. Or checking email/facebook/twitter/weather channel on my phone."
Old January 24, 2011, 09:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My issue with my ISP (rogers) is their aggressive anti-p2p. Currently with rogers anybody transferring via torrent gets disconnected every 15 minutes for about 3 seconds(only while torrenting). This happens to all rogers customers I know that use torrents and is extremely inconvenient as you can't download and game at the same time.