Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2011, 07:16 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default CES 2011: Antec Updates Chassis and Goes Under Water

Antec, a company once known for their quiet, office-centric cases has really embraced the enthusiast market this past year, possibly more so than ever in their 25 year history. We had a chance to go through the company's line for 2011 at CES, which involves a few updates to existing lines as well as embarking on a whole new cooling quest....

[ Read full article ]

Last edited by SKYMTL; January 10, 2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old January 10, 2011, 07:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Should be really interesting to see how CoolIT will go against Asetek this time. I wonder what caused Corsair's move?
Old January 10, 2011, 08:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

8 PCI-E slots in the One Hundred.
Old January 10, 2011, 10:15 PM
MVP

Yeah I don't know what Antec is trying to do with the Sonata IV. I have a Sonata II right now and I think I would rather have it over the IV...

The all in one liquid coolers on the other hand are pretty cool.

What I want to see is an update of the performance series. P 283 anyone?
Old January 11, 2011, 09:05 AM

I think the pricing is out to lunch actually...
Old January 11, 2011, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well the sonata 4 is pretty interesting IMO but if it get down to 180$ it would be akiller case. Nice and clean design + a good PSU. Simple and powerfull solution IMO. For the watercooler now, I don't think it's gonna overtake the actual one on the market...they are mostly all the same unless they have a hidden secret weapon. But it's nice to see antec trying to jump in the cooling game.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 11, 2011, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know what the engineers at Antec were thinking. Everything they have been producing as of late has been FUGLY. The prices are atrocious as well.

If you want to pay a lot of money for something that ugly, better get ready to put a paper bag over it.
Old January 11, 2011, 11:36 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

The Sonata III was a great case. It offered some exceptional value to people who just wanted the everyday workstation PC and couldn't decide between a custom system and a off the shelf Dell/HP etc. The SIII allowed them to cut down on costs and still get what they needed.

I was hoping that the SIV would become a replacement to the SIII, but clearly I can't say it is. It's a step backwards in both afford-ability and the "one look for all" design. Much the same that they did with the P180/182. It used to be so simple and elegant, then they updated it with gaudy front effects, and reduced the included features for the P183.

What annoys me the most about the Sonata IV is that it is simply a recycled design, so there was absolutely zero R&D going into it already, the PSU is good, but when you combine the cost of the Sonata Elite and PSU separately, its actually substantially cheaper. In fact, the Elite has sound dampening material. The least they could have done was include that on the Sonata IV!

Even if they had matched the price, I'm still not a big fan (no pun intended) of the side opening.

What ever happened to "Antec - Quiet Computing"?

One thing to mention though, is that it does include USB 3.0, which has a very high cost associated to implement.
Old January 11, 2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
One thing to mention though, is that it does include USB 3.0, which has a very high cost associated to implement.
Remember, the case doesn't have a controller chip (which is expensive) and rather just supplies the connector and ~12" cable to get to your motherboad's USB 3.0 pin-out. From my understanding, a USB 3.0 cable is a buck or three more expensive than a USB 2.0 cable when bought in large quantities.
Old January 11, 2011, 12:06 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Remember, the case doesn't have a controller chip (which is expensive) and rather just supplies the connector and ~12" cable to get to your motherboad's USB 3.0 pin-out. From my understanding, a USB 3.0 cable is a buck or three more expensive than a USB 2.0 cable when bought in large quantities.
I do need to double check, but from what I understood, implementing USB 3.0 via the Intel developed, internal 19 pin connection, required a licensing fee (for use of the physical connector), which means case manufacturer's have to shell out to include it if they don't simply want to use the open standard external option.

Last edited by FiXT; January 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM.