Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2011, 07:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You are correct. Board is not compatible with AM2+ chips.
Old January 10, 2011, 10:20 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

From: List of AMD Phenom microprocessors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Deneb" (C2/C3, 45 nm, Quad-core)Memory support: DDR2 SDRAM up to PC2-8500, DDR3 SDRAM up to PC3-10600 (Socket AM3 only)

Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition2 C2 3.0 GHz 4x 512 KB 6 MB 1.8 GHz 15x 0.875 - 1.425 125 W AM2+ January 8, 2009 HDZ940XCJ4DGI"

I agree its pretty rare, but there Are Ph2 AM2+ chips that support DDR2/DDR3.
Old January 10, 2011, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Is anybody able to pick out an aux 12V molex connection on that 8 GPU beast? I had a quick look but couldn't find a single one, let alone the two I was expecting......
Both the Marshal and the GD80 have a single aux 6-pin PCIe power connector for the PCIe slots, the equivalent of two molex connections.

And note to SKY - it's the "Marshal" as in Marshal Dillon, and not "Marshall" as in Marshall Bravestarr.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 10, 2011, 01:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
And note to SKY - it's the "Marshal" as in Marshal Dillon, and not "Marshall" as in Marshall Bravestarr.
Actually, MSI has yet to finalize the actual spelling. While it is silk screened on their board, all marketing, PR and channel materials refer to it as "Marshall".
Old January 10, 2011, 04:26 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I'm kinda of curious why MSI keeps sticking with a heatsink design which isn't that fantastic in multi-gpu set up due to all the hot air it dumps into a case.
Because the small fans for the north/south bridge are loud as a jet engine. So it looks like they compensated by making the heatsink bigger.
Old January 10, 2011, 04:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansophic View Post
Because the small fans for the north/south bridge are loud as a jet engine. So it looks like they compensated by making the heatsink bigger.
Again, i am talking about the graphic card heat sinks people, not the motherboard ones
Old January 11, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Actually, MSI has yet to finalize the actual spelling. While it is silk screened on their board, all marketing, PR and channel materials refer to it as "Marshall".
Very interesting! If that's the case, then I'm going to have to buy one.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 11, 2011, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I'm kinda of curious why MSI keeps sticking with a heatsink design which isn't that fantastic in multi-gpu set up due to all the hot air it dumps into a case.
Personally, I've kind of quit worrying about that issue. A good case these days will cycle air through fast enough to make it a minimal issue, and it allows for much better heatsink designs than the traditional leafblower style (even the quiet leafblowers). Any increase in case temps is generally offset by the increased efficiency of the heatsink itself. You do get a bit of an issue if the cards are directly next to each other, but that's the case with traditional style too. Onus is on the user to get a board that gives the cards some room to breath.
Old January 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Personally, I've kind of quit worrying about that issue. A good case these days will cycle air through fast enough to make it a minimal issue, and it allows for much better heatsink designs than the traditional leafblower style (even the quiet leafblowers). Any increase in case temps is generally offset by the increased efficiency of the heatsink itself. You do get a bit of an issue if the cards are directly next to each other, but that's the case with traditional style too. Onus is on the user to get a board that gives the cards some room to breath.

True you have to give the cards room to breathe, but his case was a modern on (CM 690 II). And from what I'm aware of in his setup they had the room.
The card just dumps too much heat inside. Though I get what you are saying as well.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 11, 2011, 08:42 PM
Rookie

im liking the colour scheme