Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2011, 07:55 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default EVGA Revises it's Warranty Lengths & Allows for Warranty Upgrade

EVGA, a company known for their lifetime warranties on many products has now upgraded it's "basic" warranty to 3 years while allowing users to purchase an extended warranty of up to 10 years. Some of you may remember critique we had about EVGA's choice to include a disappointing 1-year (two years with registration) warranty on certain premium cards...

[ Read full article ]
Old January 9, 2011, 08:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I suppose this is to help mitigate what comes with offering Lifetime warranties.
Hopefuly they will still have cards and such that default to lifetime warranty?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 9, 2011, 08:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I miss the days when even EVGA's entry-level hardware came with an automatic lifetime warranty. I understand that may not have sustainable - so it's nice to see EVGA attempting to live up to their good warranty reputation.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 9, 2011, 09:16 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I think 10 years is a little out of the world as well...I mean in 10 years are we going to care if our GTX 460 dies on us and we need a replacement? Hell we'll be on the XXT 2040204140 I'm sure by then and probably will forget what the GTX days were like cause the new cards will just poop on em.
Old January 9, 2011, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This tells me the AR lifetime warranty is going to be limited to high end cards only.
Old January 9, 2011, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

But that doesn't make any sense tho. Why would someone pay $30/$60 additional to the lifetime warranty for high end cards?

-Plato
Old January 9, 2011, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
But that doesn't make any sense tho. Why would someone pay $30/$60 additional to the lifetime warranty for high end cards?
You're misunderstanding this.

Something like a 580 FTW could still be labelled as -AR with lifetime, however, if you buy a -TR (now -KR) you can upgrade (at your leisure) to a higher level warranty if you wish.

I like it. My only question is; Do you have a limited timeframe to chose to upgrade? Or can you wait till your card dies (in 4 years?) and upgrade then? My guess is you have to chose before a certain window, as thats what makes sense.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 9, 2011, 09:51 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

10 years is overkill. If I look back at what I was using 10 years ago, it's 100% garbage now.
Old January 9, 2011, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
10 years is overkill. If I look back at what I was using 10 years ago, it's 100% garbage now.
10 years ago, nVidias card was the nVidia 256...competition? 3dFX's Voodoo series.

I dont think in 10 years anyone would have peripherals/mobo slots that would fit a 'new' card, or vice versa. What was the 256 slot? PCI or AGP if I remember my voodoo right...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 9, 2011, 10:14 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Do you need to buy an extended warranty to take part in the step up program?
Fold for team #54196