Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2011, 11:18 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Do you need to buy an extended warranty to take part in the step up program?
Lifetime warranty cards come automatically with Step-Up. 3-Year warranty cards will only come with step-up through and extended warranty.
Old January 9, 2011, 11:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I like how EVGA is doing this now. Being able to purchase an extended warranty if you want it is better for me. Chances are I won't be keeping a piece of hardware for more than a year or two, so I don't really require a ridiculously long warranty.
Although the whole lifetime warranty thing does increase resale value, I find it's more of a hassle to help people with their warranties after selling a card second hand, than it is just to throw it in a box or use it for testing purposes.
Old January 9, 2011, 11:44 AM
Rookie

I'm glad they are extending the lower end warrantied items, as well as giving three years to cards with the -AR suffix which are not registered within 30 days. However I don't think that they should be overly congratulated as this move just brings them in line with other companies warranty standards. Buying a warranty extension for 5 years is something that interests me but I might have 2% of the items I have now in ten years. The 'buy-in' requirement to access the step-up program is IMO nothing more than a cash grab.
-Chris
Old January 9, 2011, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by INurHome View Post
However I don't think that they should be overly congratulated as this move just brings them in line with other companies warranty standards.
Agreed. The only reason they are doing this is because Asus/Gigabyte will eat into their sales heavily if they don't offer a comparable warranty. Very smart decision on EVGA's part, and since their warranties are held in high regard this will allow them to remain competitive. The 10 year warranty thing is of course overkill, but that's the point. They squeeze a bit more money out of you knowing that most people will never even need it to begin with. Those that feel they do are secure in knowing they are covered in the foreseeable future.

Old January 9, 2011, 12:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Lifetime warranty cards come automatically with Step-Up. 3-Year warranty cards will only come with step-up through and extended warranty.
So we can't step up unless we have extended warranty.

Another cash grab move.
Old January 10, 2011, 05:10 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well it seems i'm the only one who doesn't like this. Why? not because of the warranty term - I only hold on to stuff for like, 2 years max.. but it comes down to the nickels and dimes.
EVGA holds a price premium because of their warranties (lifetime or otherwise) - now they are "on an even playing field" they will still hold a price premium for their name + tag on extra cash grabs for longer warranties. They do have a "modder friendly" warranty still I guess.
I would like to see the EVGA cards come down closer in price to those of PNY and MSI since they are moving to this type of warranty structure. When I bought my GTX580, it was quite surprising to see the difference in price between manufacturers.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old January 11, 2011, 03:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Let's face it!

IMHO, they WILL reduce the overall amount of cards bearing the "AR" for lifetime, raise the price of AR...then, they'll become no different than any other vidcard manufacturer...lifetime warranty (price difference will be reflected in ETAILER's pricing (IMHO)

It's good that they offer warranty options tho...why not.

EVGA has issues, cause their AR cards are sold out, and people are not buying the TRs cause they know the warranty is short...

EVGA HOPES that people will start buying the TRs...since the fermi lauch, EVGA has stock issues with it's high-end cards being often sold-out...
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 12, 2011, 11:37 AM
MVP

I just purchased EVGA's GTX570, a "TR", card on the 7th of this month and registered for the full 2year warranty. I thought I'd get the lifetime warranty on this item since it's one of their higher end cards but no go. I will be purchasing the 5yr extended, has to be done within 90days of purchase I believe, since I usually sell what I have to finance upgrades & in 2 years or so telling the potential buyer that that still have a no nonsense warranty on the product will be a selling point.

I would have preferred a full 5 year warranty to be included with my purchase since it is in their top end of cards that they offer with the GTX580 being tops. This is even more true since Asus, Gigabyte & even PNY offer a 3yr warranty out of the box.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old January 13, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

All in all, it`s a move that EVGA was preparing for a little bit....

I wondered what was going on when I started to see -TR cards appearing on NCIX`s site...it was REALLY rare, if not IMPOSSIBLE to find anything but lifetime warrantied EVGA cards on NCIX...

EVGA, that warranty was one of your best selling point...if you start fiddling with the warranty to save a buck, some people won`t wait for your cards and will buy ZOTAC or PNY cards...as simple as that...

Warranty
1 year (will be extended for the lifetime of the original purchaser upon completion of a registration form on PNY's website)
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 13, 2011, 09:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

PNY has very good support and they've always been my backup for anything EVGA has out of stock, or does not have the warranty I want.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com