Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2007, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Is Big Brother Watching? Email warnings for copyright infringement

This article is from the CBC. Should you worry? No.

"E-mail warnings deter Canadians from illegal file sharing

The entertainment and software industries have found an effective tool to deter some Canadians from downloading TV programs, movies, music and software. And it doesn't involve going to court.
A number of industry groups, mostly based in the United States, are relying on e-mail to get the message out that peer-to-peer file sharing is illegal. Thousands of the e-mails are being sent to Canadian users each month under a program known as "notice and notice."
Major Canadian internet service providers including Rogers, Bell and Telus have voluntarily agreed to distribute the notices to their customers on behalf of the industry associations. Telus forwards an average of 4,000 notices every month.
Stephen Harrington received a notice late last year after downloading a computer game from a bit torrent file-sharing site. (Bit torrent sites are used to share larger files, such as movies.)
Harrington wanted to play the game with his friends, liked it, and purchased it a few days later.
"Actually, I almost deleted it. But I read through and was quite surprised. But I was initially concerned," Harrington said."

More from CBC
Old February 20, 2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think the ISP's are watching or even care to be honest. I think they are just passing on the "message" to keep those groups off their backs. In Canada it's nothing we have to worry about at this time and you know how slow Canada is at changing any of it's laws.
Old February 26, 2007, 08:48 PM
MVP

This whole things makes me uneasy. I hate seeing my privacy intruded on, but on the other hand, I wish more people would reconsider when they steal software, it really hurts the developers, especially the smaller ones.
Old February 27, 2007, 01:15 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepheronX View Post
This is Canada, we can take whatever we want on the net
Sure, I can do a lot of other stuff which benefits me in the short run while harming others in the long run, they aren't necessarily good ideas though.

Quote:
developers get so much money for such a small crappy project.
Do you really think developers make much money from small crappy projects? How many small crappy projects can you list with at least one full-time developer, who doesn't hold any other day jobs?

Quote:
I am not willing to spend 10 bucks on your crappy driverheaven's Drivercleaner pro software.
That's not mine, or in any way affiliated with me, and is in fact an old, now unsupported program, that has always been freeware.
Old February 27, 2007, 09:21 AM
MVP

Quote:
No, have you checked the latest?

Drivercleaner pro, 9.99
That's Driver Cleaner .NET, Driver Cleaner Pro is an older application.

Quote:
I agree to an extent, but here is my POV:
I go out and lets say, buy a game like Gothic 3. Now my PC is more then capable of playing it but wait, oh no, it runs like a man who lost his legs from diabetes. Now, I am stuck with an expensive game, that was no were near worth it.
http://www.gamershell.com/download_16382.shtml
Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything though.