Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Windows Live Hotmail Experiences Widespread Glitch Causing Empty Inboxes

It appears that the free webmail service Hotmail, owned and offered by Microsoft through its Windows Live services, experienced a massive glitch a few days before New Years that has resulted in an astonishing number of people having their entire Hotmail accounts wiped cleaned of all folders and stored emails.After first hearing about the issue from... [ Read full article ]
Old January 1, 2011, 12:11 PM
vtech1

Angry i was affected by this

i had lost 1100 emails including some cd keys that i won over the years ....now i cant install bf2 anymore because m$ lost it and most definitely wont replace it... screw u microsoft...
Old January 1, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I lost everything too... 8 years of email!

They still don't give any solution except that they are working on it. It's usually difficult to retrieve emails after a time frame of 24 hours (from what I read from moderator's post). In my case, 44 hours and counting! I migrated all my subscription and online merchant account to my gmail email.

Good bye hotmail

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old January 1, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

it's called back ups for a reason, gentlemen. applies to important (LIKE CD KEYS AHEM) e-mails as well.
Old January 1, 2011, 02:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

To be fair though, one would assume by putting things onto the Internet that backups would be take care of by the provider and downtime like this would never happen.

It's a pretty big blunder on MS's part that's for sure. Granted they don't guarantee any sort of reliability, but still...
Old January 1, 2011, 02:36 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I was not affected by this outage, but i still think MS should be able to resolve this issue without too much trouble and restore everyone's lost emails. Why do i think this? Every corporate environment ive worked in uses tapes backips for their email servers. Im certain MS uses something similar and/or more advanced. Jeez, even redundant methods are probably used there. Restoring may take a while, but it'll (hopefully) happen. Fingers crossed, lol.
Old January 1, 2011, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no harm done to me but i always keep many back like way to many better safe then sorry eh.
Old January 1, 2011, 11:37 PM
Siofra

Default Hotmail

I am one of these users. I have been on a writing mission for 44 hours. I have lost 11 years of emails ranging from important legal archives to notes from deceased relatives. What is making me crazy is that we have heard nothing but a standard line that "we are investigating this" the entire time, in a general way. Once in a while, a moderator will tell me to stop posting so much. Until I get an actual update, I don't know why I would do that!
Old January 1, 2011, 11:57 PM
Unregistered

Angry

There are 480 PAGES of complains on Windows Live Solution Centre with regards to the issue, and number is still growing… here’s the link: Lost or Deleted Emails Threads

Since the issue occurred 50 hours ago on 31st December, all the unfortunately users who lost their years of emails around globe (including myself) have been trying to contact the media, thus no news been reported until 1st Jan.2011.

What frustrate us is after hundreds and thousands of users reported the issue to Microsoft tech support, we did not have any clear answers with regards to the issue for this long, we have been kept in the dark until now.

I have been a loyal user of hotmail for 15 years, their lack of action is really disappointing this time! All we want now is to have our emails back, they are invaluable for us!
Old January 2, 2011, 03:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think I should back up my emails