Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default MSI and Killer NIC Partnership Could See Improved Integrated NIC

MSI recently released a press notice alongside Killer NIC announcing an informal partnership between the companies that will see Killer NIC products coupled with the sale of MSI Big Bang Motherboards, but rumour has it the match may bring with it, a whole new level of integrated networking. MSI has been relatively on the ball with its integration o... [ Read full article ]
Old December 30, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

See this makes way more sense than on a video cards. As long as the price premium isn't too much, this board should sell well.
Old December 30, 2010, 01:33 PM
Rookie

LOL, that GPU was a strange concept, must have had a small niche market for it somewhere in the world.
Hopefully MSI switches to Killer across the board (so to speak) and not just the high end offerings. I am not the biggest fan of Realtek LAN.
-Chris
Old December 30, 2010, 04:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I fail to see the point of this as no gamers really have bottle necks on their NIC side. Its typically their ISP, waste-o-money in my opinion along with gaming NICs all together.
Old December 30, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Board mfgrs should just use nice intel NICs and leave it at that.
Now of course I would have one in my rig but I would need more PCI-E slots. -_- (what moron decided on 7 being standard for ATX boards?)
Old December 30, 2010, 05:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I just bought my first MSI product today but I don't think I would honestly see a MSI product with this NIC card in it and think "I'm so buying this cause of the nic hell yeah!" I just don't see it happening...
Old December 30, 2010, 09:45 PM
Top Prospect

It's an improvement over realtek junk that exists even on the high end MSI / GA boards, but I'd still rather have an intel nic.
Old December 30, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

why... why.... I don't understand why anyone would pay a premium for this.

even the realteks are just fine :\
Old January 1, 2011, 09:11 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Due to my location (polar bear land in Northern Manitoba), I think I'm one of the only people who would benefit from these things in the first place. My ISP is awful up here, but it's almost expected. Anything to help is sort of appealing. But at that premium, it's still a stretch. Still - props to MSI for trying to push the envelope.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:12 AM
Rookie

As useless as these things are most the time they have been shown to help a decent bit with MMO's, specifically in large cities or dungeons with tons of NPC's and spells at once. It isn't fixing a slow ISP but it can help buffer things out.

Other then that I've see it actually hurt, not change, or barely improve performance. So its mostly a one trick pony I guess.