Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   MSI and Killer NIC Partnership Could See Improved Integrated NIC (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/39432-msi-killer-nic-partnership-could-see-improved-integrated-nic.html)

FiXT December 30, 2010 12:48 PM

MSI and Killer NIC Partnership Could See Improved Integrated NIC

MSI recently released a press notice alongside Killer NIC announcing an informal partnership between the companies that will see Killer NIC products coupled with the sale of MSI Big Bang Motherboards, but rumour has it the match may bring with it, a whole new level of integrated networking. MSI has been relatively on the ball with its integration o... [ Read full article ]

bojangles December 30, 2010 01:27 PM

See this makes way more sense than on a video cards. As long as the price premium isn't too much, this board should sell well.

INurHome December 30, 2010 01:33 PM

LOL, that GPU was a strange concept, must have had a small niche market for it somewhere in the world.
Hopefully MSI switches to Killer across the board (so to speak) and not just the high end offerings. I am not the biggest fan of Realtek LAN.
-Chris

Arinoth December 30, 2010 04:22 PM

I fail to see the point of this as no gamers really have bottle necks on their NIC side. Its typically their ISP, waste-o-money in my opinion along with gaming NICs all together.

MacJunky December 30, 2010 04:48 PM

Board mfgrs should just use nice intel NICs and leave it at that.
Now of course I would have one in my rig but I would need more PCI-E slots. -_- (what moron decided on 7 being standard for ATX boards?)

Blu December 30, 2010 05:32 PM

I just bought my first MSI product today but I don't think I would honestly see a MSI product with this NIC card in it and think "I'm so buying this cause of the nic hell yeah!" I just don't see it happening...

KylSp December 30, 2010 09:45 PM

It's an improvement over realtek junk that exists even on the high end MSI / GA boards, but I'd still rather have an intel nic.

LarkStarr December 30, 2010 09:50 PM

why... why.... I don't understand why anyone would pay a premium for this.

even the realteks are just fine :\

Ebbtides January 1, 2011 09:11 AM

Due to my location (polar bear land in Northern Manitoba), I think I'm one of the only people who would benefit from these things in the first place. My ISP is awful up here, but it's almost expected. Anything to help is sort of appealing. But at that premium, it's still a stretch. Still - props to MSI for trying to push the envelope.

DarkSavior41 January 1, 2011 10:12 AM

As useless as these things are most the time they have been shown to help a decent bit with MMO's, specifically in large cities or dungeons with tons of NPC's and spells at once. It isn't fixing a slow ISP but it can help buffer things out.

Other then that I've see it actually hurt, not change, or barely improve performance. So its mostly a one trick pony I guess.