Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default NVIDIA SLI Technology Confirmed for Intel Sandy Bridge Motherboards

NVIDIA today announced that NVIDIA SLI technology has been licensed by the world's leading motherboard manufacturers -- including Intel, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and EVGA -- for use on their Intel P67 Express Chipset-based motherboards designed for the upcoming Intel Sandy Bridge processors. As a result, customers who purchase a SLI-certified P67-b... [ Read full article ]
Old December 7, 2010, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

surprise surprise??? No seriously this was just sure XD

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 7, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Actually it was potentially unsure, given the little tiff between Intel and NVIDIA. Sandy Bridge is expected in less than a month... and JUST now SLI is being licensed to be supported.

There was a good chance that we could have been going back to X38/48 days where it was Crossfire Only.

Except in this case there would have been no NVIDIA chipset option at all
Old December 7, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Actually it was potentially unsure, given the little tiff between Intel and NVIDIA. Sandy Bridge is expected in less than a month... and JUST now SLI is being licensed to be supported.

There was a good chance that we could have been going back to X38/48 days where it was Crossfire Only.

Except in this case there would have been no NVIDIA chipset option at all
Yeah but are Nvidia still doing chipset for intel? So that would have mean NF200 chip on all board that support sli. Would have been a bad move from Nvidia IMO. No? If the Asus mod on ROG forum are right, and I'm pretty sure they are since it's their job to test Asus mobo before release, having a NF200 without running sli can decrease perf of about 2%. But well, now that it have been confirmed we can all go back to sleep and dream of our next budget P67 PC

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 7, 2010, 04:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I hope a similar announcement is made for the Bulldozer platform.
Old December 7, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, I couldn't see AMD being all that eager to incorporate SLI on their boards, so this was a no-brainer for Nvidia. I'm surprised the makers let Nvidia get away with demanding a licensing fee, for that matter.
Old December 7, 2010, 06:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Well, I couldn't see AMD being all that eager to incorporate SLI on their boards, so this was a no-brainer for Nvidia.
Oh no doubt, although I do think that AMD would find accommodating SLI support to be beneficial; some people just don't want an AMD card, or already have a perfectly good nVidia one. nVidia would also have another base of customers, and allow its proprietary PhysX and CUDA technologies to proliferate further.

I suppose if multi-GPU systems were more popular, than AMD or nVidia would have more incentive to approach the other and make the pitch.
Old December 8, 2010, 05:26 AM
Unregistered

Default huh

The AMD Radeon 5970 is the fastest DirectX 11 GPU in the world.
What are you talking about?
Old December 8, 2010, 05:40 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The AMD Radeon 5970 is the fastest DirectX 11 GPU in the world.
What are you talking about?
Nope. It incorporates TWO GPUs to make one graphics CARD. The GF110 GPU in the GTX 580 is the fastest single GPU in the world and I don't think anyone would deny that.
Old December 8, 2010, 05:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think this news comes from Intel and Nvidia settling out of court, yes?