Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2010, 10:02 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default VisionTek Announces Killer 2100 HD 5770 Combo Graphics-Network Card

VisionTek Products and Bigfoot Networks today announced the launch of the VisionTek Killer HD 5770, the world's first single-card, PCI Express solution combining Bigfoot Networks Killer E2100 game networking technology and AMD Radeon HD 5000 graphics family technology to supercharge mainstream PCs for online gaming.

The Killer HD 5770 is a one-car... [ Read full article ]

Last edited by FiXT; December 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old December 1, 2010, 11:59 AM
MVP
F@H

Default Visontek launches Hybrid 5770/KillerNIC

Quote:
VISIONTEK LAUNCHES WORLD'S FIRST ONLINE GAMING UPGRADE CARD FOR PCS

VisionTek Killer™ HD 5770 Combines Graphics and Networking to Supercharge Your PC

INVERNESS, IL. and REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - December 1, 2010 -VisionTek Products and Bigfoot Networks today announced the launch of the VisionTek Killer™ HD 5770, the world's first single-card, PCI Express solution combining Bigfoot Networks Killer™ E2100 game networking technology and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 graphics family technology to supercharge mainstream PCs for online gaming.

The Killer™ HD 5770 is a one-card, one-slot solution that combines leading-edge graphics and networking to give consumers explosive HD gaming performance for today's hottest online titles. The Killer™ HD 5770 card uses the AMD Radeon™ HD 5770 graphics processing unit (GPU) to deliver Microsoft® DirectX® 11 support, multimonitor setup and 7.1 audio via HDMI output. The Killer™ HD 5770 card also uses the Killer™ E2100 platform to deliver blazing-fast Gigabit Ethernet networking optimized for online gameplay. The Killer™ E2100 platform is a new, embedded version of the award-winning Killer™ 2100 gaming network card developed by Bigfoot Networks.

Benefits of the VisionTek Killer™ HD 5770 card include:

• Multiple Displays – Immersive gaming with multidisplay capabilities
• Game Networking Performance – Whether you're playing MMOs or first-person shooters, the Killer™ E2100 platform delivers fast networking with a new level of online gaming performance and a competitive edge
• Intelligence – The Killer™ E2100 platform identifies and accelerates traffic to your game with Advanced Game Detect™ for unmatched online gaming performance
• Maximum Control – See which applications are hogging PC bandwidth. Set limits using Visual Bandwidth Control™ or shut them down completely with Application Blocking, so they don't interfere with online games
• Visibility – Monitor and manage gaming rig health and performance with at-a-glance Online Gaming PC Monitor™

"The VisionTek Killer™ HD 5770 card is the only upgrade card specifically designed to combine high-quality graphics and low-latency networking for gaming," said Michael Innes, COO & EVP of VisionTek Products, LLC. "We are pleased to offer our customers unrivaled online gaming performance with the unprecedented convenience of a single plug-and-play card."

"With the Killer™ HD 5770, players with mainstream PCs can turbocharge their systems at a fraction of the cost of a new PC," said Michael Howse, CEO, Bigfoot Networks. "Bigfoot Networks pursues strategic initiatives with companies like VisionTek because of its shared commitment to offering unique, intelligent products to demanding gamers."

"VisionTek has been a strategic partner for nearly 10 years and brings extremely innovative AMD design concepts to the North American market," said Matt Skynner, corporate vice president and general manager of AMD's GPU Division. "We rely on our leading partners to expand on our technology reach. VisionTek once again delivers on that directive with its new Killer™ HD 5770 launch."

The VisionTek Killer™ HD 5770 gaming graphics and network card will be available in early December through North American online and retail channels at an MSRP of $199.99 USD. Visit VisionTek | AMD Graphics Card partner | VisionTek ATI/AMD Radeon Graphics Partner to learn more.

About VisionTek Products, LLC
VisionTek is a leading supplier of PC enhancement products to retailers and consumers. Based out of Inverness, IL, VisionTek brings the most innovative and best performing products to the PC enthusiast consumer market. Information about VisionTek products is available at VisionTek | AMD Graphics Card partner | VisionTek ATI/AMD Radeon Graphics Partner.

About Bigfoot Networks
Bigfoot Networks is a leading networking technology company that develops hardware and software solutions that significantly improve the online gaming experience. Its products are designed to provide maximum network performance for online gaming and other real time applications. To learn more, visit Bigfoot Networks at Bigfoot Networks.

Source: VisionTek Killer HD 5770 combo NIC / GPU hikes frame rates, lowers ping times for $200 -- Engadget

Seems kinda stupid to me imo. Does save a PCIe slot in your case, but would be nice to have used a better GPU.
Old December 1, 2010, 01:18 PM

My System Specs

Can't say I'd ever buy one, but I do think this is a much better idea than a standalone Killer NIC.
Old December 1, 2010, 01:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hehehe...... somebody must have an awful pile of these "killer nic" chips sitting around. Every 3 months or so there's a different press announcement on how they intend to sell them to us...... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 1, 2010, 02:53 PM
MVP
F@H

I can't wait for the LCD monitor with a built in killer nic
Old December 1, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hummm killer is stile alive. I dont undertand that. There is no real reason for it to exist.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 1, 2010, 06:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I don't get it...

As I understand it (rightly or wrongly), Network cards are mostly for extreme gamers because most casual to intermediate gamers won't notice the difference and don't want to spend the extra $$$ for a slight increase of speed... wouldn't it make sense to put this on a top of the line card like the 580/6870 or upcoming 69XX's? Why would you buy a 5770 with a NIC in it?
Old December 1, 2010, 06:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I don't get it...

As I understand it (rightly or wrongly), Network cards are mostly for extreme gamers because most casual to intermediate gamers won't notice the difference and don't want to spend the extra $$$ for a slight increase of speed... wouldn't it make sense to put this on a top of the line card like the 580/6870 or upcoming 69XX's? Why would you buy a 5770 with a NIC in it?
Exactly. The idea is 'good' but VisionTek paired a premium NIC to the wrong product. A person purchasing a 5770 would deem the NIC to be a superfluous luxury item. I'm surprised this was even approved for production.
Old December 1, 2010, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i thought that the killer card was proven to slow down game performance?
Old December 1, 2010, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Don't know about slowing things down, but it's been demonstrated that a good Intel NIC provides the same gains for a lot less cost.