Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series Officially Postponed

While AMD did manage to get its AMD Radeon HD 6800 series out on time, and with near perfect availability, unfortunately it looks like big brother Cayman has been delayed. AMD's new top end line, the "Cayman" GPU based cards, were expected to debut November 22, 2010, however for reasons unspecified, AMD has officially moved back the date towards t... [ Read full article ]
Old November 12, 2010, 11:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well a delay is never a positive sign. Maybe they were planning to beat the GTX 580, and now they figure they won't, so they'll work on drivers or maybe 'unlock' some extra performance somewhere?
Old November 12, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
Well a delay is never a positive sign. Maybe they were planning to beat the GTX 580, and now they figure they won't, so they'll work on drivers or maybe 'unlock' some extra performance somewhere?

And fermi have been edlayed for 6 month. Also the 580 is what the 480 was supose to be so can we say the 580 is 1 years and half delayed? It's pretty hard to get these product out on date and since most of the tech release in GPU/CPU are most of the time delayed there is nothing wrong here. If they can take a month to make sure no issue will strike it's a good thing.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 12, 2010, 01:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Oh I agree, if they are delaying so the end product will be improved it's a good thing in the end. I just think AMD was surprised in some way by the 580, and they're now scrambling
Old November 12, 2010, 01:06 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Oh I agree, if they are delaying so the end product will be improved it's a good thing in the end. I just think AMD was surprised in some way by the 580, and they're now scrambling
I think it's quite the opposite. The 580 barely beats or doesn't beat their "old" 5970. What are they worried about? Why rush the new 69xx series out the door when another month of tweaking will make it even better?
Old November 12, 2010, 01:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Why would AMD delay it for 3 weeks at the start of the peak holiday buying season? They should have been in stores before Black Friday. That's a big missed sales opportunity.
Old November 12, 2010, 01:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I think it's quite the opposite. The 580 barely beats or doesn't beat their "old" 5970. What are they worried about? Why rush the new 69xx series out the door when another month of tweaking will make it even better?
Because in a month, most people planning on buying a new high-end graphics card for Christmas will already have bought it
Old November 12, 2010, 01:17 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Why would AMD delay it for 3 weeks at the start of the peak holiday buying season? They should have been in stores before Black Friday. That's a big missed sales opportunity.
Probably because they just released the 6850 and 6870 with good quantities already, which is what most consumers would be getting for Xmas (unless you're one really lucky SOB who gets $400+ gifts at Xmas, lol).
Old November 12, 2010, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
the delay is probably more something like the 480 add at the begining. Maybe some problem to make the GPU due to high number of transistor so they delay time to make stock? But well I do agree that it's a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I kind of agree with that. Yeah Xmas is a big selling season but most of us will buy after receiving money gift so after Xmas. No?

I am pretty confident that if AMD decide to to that, they add good reason. Let's see:)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 12, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It never ceases to amaze me the double standard that some people apply to brand A over brand B. People who were all up in arms in full on nerd rage over the NV delays take ATI's delays in stride AND defend ATI's actions. Delays are never a good thing, it never to "improve the product" its always "oh damn there is a BIG problem!..How can be patch this in time for the next big buying rush?". Worse still, it reduces competition and keeps prices high.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr