Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2010, 02:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
It never ceases to amaze me the double standard that some people apply to brand A over brand B. People who were all up in arms in full on nerd rage over the NV delays take ATI's delays in stride AND defend ATI's actions. Delays are never a good thing, it never to "improve the product" its always "oh damn there is a BIG problem!..How can be patch this in time for the next big buying rush?". Worse still, it reduces competition and keeps prices high.
I'm not sure I totally agree. It's certainly not a good thing for the company, but for consumers it may be a good thing. For example, if AMD went ahead and released an underperforming 6970 on schedule, the odds of a price war are nil. However, if they bring it up to spec and can closely match performance of the GTX 580, the consumer can benefit in the end. Certainly AMD does itself no favours in the short term, but they remain competitive in the long term and the consumer benefits... That is, if they can release a good 6970
Old November 12, 2010, 02:40 PM
Banned
F@H

delay=problem. or they saw 580 numbers and decided to lose some more sales..er..wait doesn't make sense.

delay=problem and thats it.
Old November 12, 2010, 02:57 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

meh. I guess the 580 didn't warrant an immediate response
Old November 12, 2010, 03:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Would have liked to see this card released so that prices would be reduced on high-end parts across the board.

If AMD has postponed this card to get some gains as some have suggested here, it is a crazy move as they will miss the holiday season. Unless the gains were huge, which I doubt.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 12, 2010, 03:15 PM
Top Prospect

Pity,

I was looking forward to going back to a single GPU setup.

I would've liked to have gone with a 580, but I read that the audio portion is gimped, and the 460 seems to be better overall for non game related activities.

Ergo, the 69xx would've been a contender! :P
Old November 12, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You missed my point mikellini. This late in the game to be calling for a delay can only mean problems. Its not to "tweak" things. Its WAY to late for tweaking as at this point they should be WELL into mass production. They most likely ran into an unforeseen snag. Maybe the yields arent where they "should" be. Maybe a bug was discovered late in the beta testing game and they are rushing to get a bios level patch in place (think AMD and Phenom 1) to counteract it. Maybe the new architecture doesnt scale they way they had hoped it would and its a furnace of a chip thats need a more robust cooling solution than initially spec'ed (though its almost too late to be swapping out heatsinks!). Who knows, but its not because they want to make it "better" its most likely because they want to make it "work". While there will always be fanbois, I find it funny how some can participate in such "doublethink", as they didnt (and rightly so) cut NV any slack but will bend over backwards to try and spin this ATI issue into a good thing. When NV did it was bad, when ATI does...its also a bad thing.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 12, 2010, 03:34 PM
Banned
F@H

from what i gathered they did sacrifice the non heater specs, so some say expect gtx580 power consumption with performance to match.

but still, the other day a rumor surfaced about missing chippies, and because they are exotic parts bla bla...i don't get it. wouldn't normally all those little bits be ready in time? i dont have a recent es to play with and check what they've been using till the last minute.
Old November 12, 2010, 04:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
You missed my point mikellini. This late in the game to be calling for a delay can only mean problems. Its not to "tweak" things. Its WAY to late for tweaking as at this point they should be WELL into mass production. They most likely ran into an unforeseen snag. Maybe the yields arent where they "should" be. Maybe a bug was discovered late in the beta testing game and they are rushing to get a bios level patch in place (think AMD and Phenom 1) to counteract it. Maybe the new architecture doesnt scale they way they had hoped it would and its a furnace of a chip thats need a more robust cooling solution than initially spec'ed (though its almost too late to be swapping out heatsinks!). Who knows, but its not because they want to make it "better" its most likely because they want to make it "work". While there will always be fanbois, I find it funny how some can participate in such "doublethink", as they didnt (and rightly so) cut NV any slack but will bend over backwards to try and spin this ATI issue into a good thing. When NV did it was bad, when ATI does...its also a bad thing.
Agreed. I don't think they're going to make it any better than it is, necessarily, just that for whatever reason it's not performing up to spec and they'd do more harm than good by releasing it on schedule.

And I also agree about the fanboism (what a word)... I had NVIDIA with 8800GT's in SLI, went with ATI 5850's in Crossfire, and now switching back to NVIDIA with a 580 that I'll more than likely SLI when I can afford it. I go with whatever the best option is, that I can afford, when I can afford it. Just happened to be lucky enough to be able to afford a flagship launch card this time...
Old November 12, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Personally, I am doubting component delays - such as the exotic high grade MOSET theory.

AMD/ATi has not been shy before, about launching products with little stock, provided the card is a solid performer and they can deliver, eventually - case in point the 5000 series. If they were able to launch a card, that made consumers willing to wait for stock - then even if there were component delays, I am sure they wouldn't hesitate to paper or scaled back launch.

Delaying the release when they have very much made the expectations public and have committed to AIBs is a HUGE move that really must be something 'big'.

I'm putting my money on "over promised, unable to adequately deliver". There are a lot of technical issues associated with die shrink and decreasing power consumption - yet adding new power hungry features, better performance, more efficiency and faster speeds. The two don't always go together smoothly..

Last edited by FiXT; November 12, 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old November 12, 2010, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Whatever the reason is I am sure it is something worth while. I think many of you are overreacting though...its not even a 1 month delay (almost a non-delay compared to the 480).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb