Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2010, 01:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Man takes computer for repair. Cost: $20 million

You think the Geek Squad posts ridiculous prices for routine work?

Man takes computer for repair. Cost: $20 million - thestar.com

Quote:
According to authorities in New York State, he ended up being scammed out of as much as $20 million (U.S.) by the computer storeís owner, Vickram Bedi.
Bedi, 36, spun a bizarre story for Davidson, 58, about a multinational plot to take over the U.S. government. Bedi and his Icelandic girlfriend, Helga Invarsdottir, now face charges in what police say was an elaborate scam...

The story begins in August 2004, when Davidson brought his malfunctioning computer into Bediís Mount Kisco, N.Y., store.

Bedi told Davidson that the computer was infected by a suspiciously malevolent virus. He said he had traced the virus to a hard-drive hidden in Honduras and that his uncle, an Indian army officer, had flown there to retrieve it.
While there, Bedi said, the uncle had also uncovered a plot by Polish priests in the Roman Catholic Opus Dei organization to destabilize the government of the United States.
More on the story in the link.

You wonder why spammers and Nigerian 'Princes' bother to do what they do?

They just might hook a guy like this...
Fold for team #54196
Old November 9, 2010, 01:49 PM
Banned
F@H

was looking at a statistic sheet, and if memory serves right 1 in 1k emails/contacts give them something..bastards, rot in hell
Old November 9, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would have repaired it for..................(cue Dr. Evil voice)...one MILLION dollars............;-)
Old November 9, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I would have repaired it for..................(cue Dr. Evil voice)...one MILLION dollars............;-)
1 million? dude this was a lot like 20 years ago.
Scott, Shht!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 9, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If that guy fell for it. He ******* deserves to lose all that money.

Beside's - How does a damn idiot that is apparently so retarded that he believes something like this able to make that kind of money?

OH RIGHT... University.. where you BUY into satisfying your sense of entitlement.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 9, 2010, 06:47 PM
MVP
F@H

I don't see what the big deal is. Not like they tried to sell him an extended warranty or anything.
Old November 9, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. Not like they tried to sell him an extended warranty or anything.
I see what you did there...