Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2010, 08:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default IP Tele, Telus are no longer alone.

Was digging on the web when I saw a pub for that! IP tele from bell! That's simply awesome! Now that optic Fibre have been routed in my area I can't way to see this service kick in. Hope it will arrive around the same time wy plan wit videotron end. Let's enjoy the new service you folk's from MTL!

Bell Fibe TV - Seeing is believing.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 8, 2010, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I just watched some of their info vids about this and the first thing I thought of was how their guide and menu system looks very very similar to the Telus Optik that I have. This leads me to believe that it is Microsoft's Mediaroom that is running it since that is what is behind the Telus system.

I do also get a kick out of the fact that they talk as if they are the first ones to have what they call "Whole Home PVR" a Bell Exclusive. That made me laugh, since it is just the name that is Bell exclusive as Telus has the PVR Anywhere.

Hmm, just noticed the typical Bell mis-information. They clearly state,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell
"Store up to 100 hours of HD or 250 hours of standard definition programming - the largest recording capacity on the market"
Now look at Telus and you will see,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telus
"Store up to 115 hours of HD or 295 hours of standard definition programming"
Now tell me which stores more? And the Telus one has been on the market for awhile now so it is not like Bell didn't know.

Last edited by ipaine; November 8, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old November 8, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Martin, Do you have any info about release date in Mtl?

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old November 8, 2010, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Well I just watched some of their info vids about this and the first thing I thought of was how their guide and menu system looks very very similar to the Telus Optik that I have. This leads me to believe that it is Microsoft's Mediaroom that is running it since that is what is behind the Telus system.

I do also get a kick out of the fact that they talk as if they are the first ones to have what they call "Whole Home PVR" a Bell Exclusive. That made me laugh, since it is just the name that is Bell exclusive as Telus has the PVR Anywhere.

Now tell me which stores more? And the Telus one has been on the market for awhile now so it is not like Bell didn't know.
The problem with telus is that they wont cross the bridge from south ( levis ) to north ( quebec ). My GF brother work in devlopement for telus and he told me it was nothing near to happen. So if you want IP TV in quebec city your only option is that Bell service. And since videotron rip me off every month and Telus is not going to help me soon for that I have to hope bell will do it fast. On a personnalnote, I don't mind who have the bigger HDD since I have a DVD recorder, what I mind more is which one will be here first and which one will offer me the content I want ( lot's of english channel coming from england, USA, and other place ). This is all only marketing, Look at videotron 2 month ago, they tell the world they were the first offering a service to program your PVR from your phone, My Galaxy S ( from bell ) have this month before videotron lunch the service. Most of the time in IT ( whatever company it is ) the big title are false, you have to read further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inik View Post
Martin, Do you have any info about release date in Mtl?
Suppose to be already available in montreal. The site say it's available in otronto and MTL. Maybe do a check with your phone number and zip code to see if it reach out to you.

Edit : Inik, look at the complete bottom of the page, it say that it's already available in selected area of MTL and toronto.

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 8, 2010, 11:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I can't wait until all you have running in your house is Cat5e, a nice switch and all your services either wired or wireless.
Its much like how my work is right now as we speak.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 8, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post

I don't think Telus was the first to have the Whole Home PVR either, I know MTS has had it here in Manitoba for a while. Shaw should have it soon sometime early next year
Old November 8, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good Martin,

I'll need to call them soon. My landlord doesn't want the antenna, so the IP TV is a good choice now! I can surely lower my speed (currently 30/1 - 100GB cap) for a bigger cap (Fibe 10 - 200GB cap).

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old November 8, 2010, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inik View Post
Good Martin,

I'll need to call them soon. My landlord doesn't want the antenna, so the IP TV is a good choice now! I can surely lower my speed (currently 30/1 - 100GB cap) for a bigger cap (Fibe 10 - 200GB cap).

Yup, also you need fibe if you want the IPTV service. Which is not a issue IMO. Keep me up to date about this;)

Martin_metal_88

Old November 8, 2010, 12:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sadly not available in my area, and it seems more expensive than Rogers TV. The quoted prices are with a $5 discount when you have 2 or more Bell services.

So $67 for 7 theme packs, and Rogers is $60 for VIP package which I'd say is similar if not better. Only nice thing is the Bell/Mediaroom UI looks much more user friendly and with the times. Rogers' STB's are like ancient. They really need to get some better hardware.