Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2010, 04:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Microsoft does not like OpenOffice

YouTube - A Few Perspectives on OpenOffice.org

Stumbled across this and thought I'd put it up to see what the community thinks of this new attack ad from Microsoft.

Personally I preferred MS Office when I last ran both the suites, and with MS's ultimate steal the cost comes down a lot for me, but I know there must be some heavy OO users out there that I am interested as to their reaction
Old October 16, 2010, 04:26 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It's some sort of prevention campain. They just don't like the fact OO can do the same as their suite for free. Some people I need to support actually needs OO instead of office because of the lack of compatibility, mostly with databases and few other things. I know there's about 1-2% with OO, but I don't remember having any need to help them with any kind of bug. Let's not say the same with Office, which I everyday hate more and more.

I'dd just like to see a mail client teamed up with the open office suit. A client you can set up just like Outlook in an exchange environnement in a few clics, ie doing "next" 3 times. Maybe thunderbird does that, never tried it for work purposes.
Old October 16, 2010, 04:46 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

OpenOffice is free, Microsoft Office is not, as a Result OpenOffice is out there with many users. Although I have Microsoft office (I get a discounted copy through work) and prefer it, I f I had to buy my own at regular prices OpenOffice would be my choice, I've used it before and it works pretty good.

Another Guy From Canada
Old October 16, 2010, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For IT Open office is not a good choice IMO. Microsoft are not totally wrong with that. But for every day use, for most of the school work etc open office is ok.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 16, 2010, 08:01 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

It is pretty funny how they try to bring down openoffice but also everything label as opensource. At 36 sec. The guy only talks about opensource basedsystem.
Also, if ppl would stop using excel and access as complete enterprise database solution , they might have fewer problems.
Old October 16, 2010, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

any parrelle with ZEITGEIST format
Old October 16, 2010, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

I have been a user of openoffice.org for at least 3 years, and I haven't had a single problem with it that I couldn't fix by doing a simple google search. Not the same can be said for the MS office suite which I have been using for the last 5 years prior to switching to openoffice.org

Obviously, you get what you pay for. If it's free, you have no right to complain if something doesn't work. On the other side of that coin, if it costs you in excess of $250, you have 250 reasons to complain if something doesn't work. Just my view on the matter.