Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2010, 12:36 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Built By NVIDIA Graphics Cards Hit Retail Shelves

NVIDIA has taken their own steps to replace the graphics card void left by BFG that was featured in best Best Buy stores. Bright Side of News has revealed that "Built By NVIDIA" cards have begun to crop up at the electronics giant, competing with the likes of NVIDIA's own third party companies like PNY and EVGA .The boards are entirely reference d... [ Read full article ]
Old October 5, 2010, 11:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Nvidia Sells Their own-branded GPUS [Bestbuy Only]

NVIDIA starts selling own-brand GPUs at Best Buy, AIB partners left befuddled -- Engadget

Of all places... bestbuy? But the packaging does look quite nice
500gb SG + 2TB WD20EARS
Corsair TX650W
Asus P5Q
Lancool K-62BW
Old October 5, 2010, 11:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Original story here: NVIDIA Confirms Entrance into Retail Graphics with Best Buy - Bright Side Of News* with NVIDIA's response and an EXCELLENT analysis without the blow-hard direction some *cough* sites are taking on this topic.
Old October 5, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok so Nvidia wish to sell their card at one of the only place that will sell those card over the price?? wierd...but let's see.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 5, 2010, 12:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The rationale for doing this is sensible given BFG's demise. It could even be helpful for brand awareness and promotion within the Best Buy setting. While people here would know that a Zotac or PNY card has an nVidia chip, Joe Average may not. This way, he can come in looking for an 'nVidia' card, and get one.
Old October 5, 2010, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like it. The heatsink shrouds look so much better in my opinion.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 5, 2010, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's been a long time since we saw direct sales to customers. Sweet!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 5, 2010, 12:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't ATI...erm...AMD still do this at Future Shop/Best Buy? I thought they did at least...

Cards are always overpriced though.
Old October 5, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Doesn't ATI...erm...AMD still do this at Future Shop/Best Buy? I thought they did at least...

Cards are always overpriced though.

They did. They still provide 'stock' cards to some OEMs like (Apple?) and Dell.

I personally think this is bad. nVidia is directly competing with their own 3rd party board companies. Sure most of them use the reference design, and just rebadge it, but some dont. Whats the purpose of the 3rd party companies when you can just get it from the supplier directly?

Sets a bad precedent I think, and EVGA/XFX etc arnt going to be happy about it digging into their pocket books.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 5, 2010, 01:20 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I personally think this is bad. nVidia is directly competing with their own 3rd party board companies. Sure most of them use the reference design, and just rebadge it, but some dont. Whats the purpose of the 3rd party companies when you can just get it from the supplier directly?

Sets a bad precedent I think, and EVGA/XFX etc arnt going to be happy about it digging into their pocket books.
EVGA and other NV board partners have been aware of this for months. There is also very little competition at brick and mortar stores since the only other companies are PNY (now focusing on Wal Mart) and Palit (Galaxy) who both don't send regular shipments to Best Buy.

So, here NVIDIA is putting on a promotion with Best Buy (3D Vision, Optimus notebooks, etc) and there aren't any NVIDIA GPUs to buy in the store that can properly support the technology. How would that look? NVIDIA stepped up to the plate and is now providing Best Buy with a regularly stocked SKU (at least for the time of the promotion) to run hand in hand with other NV-branded products.

Plus, is you were Best Buy and wanted to run a promotion, wouldn't you rather have direct branding that people know (NVIDIA) all over your shelves rather than PNY, Galaxy, etc?