Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2010, 08:57 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Editors are actually going our to buy these? Are you kidding me?
Old October 6, 2010, 10:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Editors are actually going our to buy these? Are you kidding me?
I do find that funny ... but then again Best Buy does have a lenient return policy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they return these but why buy them in the first place? No idea.

I'll be very surprised if these sell well, I could see them being offered as an upgradeable card for someone who buys a pre-built HP/Compaq (and etc.) from Best Buy. Plus, by being only offered at Best Buy, no one can price match them down to their true value + 10% price difference
Old October 6, 2010, 11:07 PM
Banned
F@H

guys,come one. its not like youre going to return the card after youve took the sinkage off and gave us some fap material :D
Old October 7, 2010, 04:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Er, no? There are lots of AIB that produce reference Fermi cards.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking, or you dont understand what reference implies when it comes to graphic cards?

Both my 768 meg EVGA 460's are reference PCB's. There is only about 4 or 5 460 768's on the market right now that ARNT reference. Off the top of my head I know these ones are NON-reference PCB's; Gainward, Palait and Leadtek.
You didn't read my post closely. I'm talking about *EVERGREEN* cards.... that means A-T-I....

The only reason I mention the Fermi cards is because Nvidia seemed to cut down release of their reference cards of their last generation of cards. At least, it looks like it. GTX 260/GTS 250/9800 GT cards out right now look like they have custom designs but I could be wrong, I guess. But, the shrouds are often different. 'Just speculating the same thing might eventually happen with Fermi.

Anyway, I hope it's all clear now. :-/

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DokkRokken View Post
They're saying those aren't reference any more and an older picture is just being used (seen that before).

Check the model # and other vendors. They've switched to the 'custom version' already. So...

Last edited by technix; October 7, 2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old October 7, 2010, 06:59 AM
Rookie

Default Best Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Ok so Nvidia wish to sell their card at one of the only place that will sell those card over the price?? wierd...but let's see.
EXACTLY!

That's what i don't get. I'd NEVER purchase hardware at BB. Are you kidding , they always tend to charge a premium more then your local PC shop.
What a dumb move.
Big Box stores are not the place to shop for PC Hardware. Period.
Old October 7, 2010, 08:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This thread is a mess.

First of all ATI is gaining market share but nvidia still holds double the market share of ATI. So nvidia isn't really hurting much. Also according to Wikipedia nvidia still sold more in the first quarter of 2010 even though ATI had a MUCH better line-up.

I think it is smart for nvidia to put more GPU's in Best Buy. Currently at our local BB there aren't many nvidia GPU's and most of them are of last generation. If nvidia were to get more powerful of GPU's in and maybe do some display models they would sell a lot more. Nvidia should have a 3d surround display to show off their capabilities and I think it would wow a lot of people and possibly bring in more sales. Why they don't do this in large high volume BB stores is beyond me.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 7, 2010, 11:07 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
First of all ATI is gaining market share but nvidia still holds double the market share of ATI.
Post a link to back this up. I believe NV holds about 30% of the marketshare and ATI 25%. The other 55% belongs to Intel.
Old October 7, 2010, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek View Post
Post a link to back this up. I believe NV holds about 30% of the marketshare and ATI 25%. The other 55% belongs to Intel.
Someone failed math =P

So a quick google search gave me this.

Nvidia reels as ATI grabs market share - NASDAQ.com
Old October 7, 2010, 11:29 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Someone failed math =P
What...you didn't know the GPU market's total size was 110%?
Old October 7, 2010, 11:45 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

To be fair to Avid, about 6 months ago, NVIDIA market share was in fact @ 30%, ATI @ 20% and Intel @ 50%

Not everyone follows quarterly market reports

Granted, this also factors in integrated graphics, which AMD has a much higher stake in than NVIDIA.

As far as discrete graphics goes, on a recent quarter by quarter basis, ATI actually controls 51% vs NVIDIA's 49% in terms for shipments in the 2010 second quarter. Unsure about its overall penetration.

Last edited by FiXT; October 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM.