Hall of Fame

My System Specs

We already have one enaberif
Old October 6, 2010, 11:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek View Post
Why are nVidia drivers responsible for 50% of all Windows 7 blue screens?
Because ATI's are responsible for the other 50%? :P

Where on Earth did you get that figure from?
Old October 6, 2010, 11:53 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I'd be surprised if Nvidia's drivers were responsible for 1% of Windows blue screens.

Causes of Windows Vista Crashes by Organization:

28.8% - NVidia
18.5% - Other
17.9% - Microsoft
17.0% - Unknown
9.3% - ATI
8.8% - Intel

Hard numbers coming directly for Microsoft...looks like your "I'm right, your wrong" arguement isn't going to hold water here.

I'm still looking for the data regarding Windows 7. I may have been mistaken and it could have been for the Windows 7 beta when they were comparing early drivers.

Link: 29% of Windows Vista crashes caused by NVIDIA drivers

Last edited by Avid6eek; October 6, 2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Adding Link
Old October 6, 2010, 11:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek View Post
That figure came directly from Microsoft when Windows 7 was first launched. I did a quick Google search and did not find it, but I'll keep looking.
Don't trouble yourself, I'm not looking for a fight. You're probably right, but this is the first I've heard of it.

One thing I must say though is that you regard the Fermi architecture as 'sub-par.' Overhyped? Yes. Underwhelming? Maybe, but once the prices got in line, the GF100 offers some amazing performance. I shared a similar sentiment, but after I fired up my GTX 470, I was very happy with the performance, even coming from a pair of 4870's.
Old October 6, 2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

Who gives a crap. Does anyone (besides those who have friends/relatives who work there or work there themselves) buy video cards from BB? I noticed a HD 5770 there costs $269! $269?!? Is there a HD 5770 card at any other (non-big box store) that costs $200 or more? No: exactly. So, whether Nvidia wants a card called 'big green monster' or 'We also come from China.', I say who gives a whoop.
Old October 6, 2010, 12:15 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I am sure the ATI number would be higher if you count the number of times their drivers either:

- Refuse to install

- Refuse to completely uninstall

- Don't allow you to roll back

- Randomly crash in the middle of a game

- Break bitstreaming functionality

- Break Crossfire support

- Freeze when the CCC tries to open

- Freeze when selecting DTS in Power DVD

- Fail to properly detect supported hardware

- Refuse to recognize supported Crossfire setups.

The list goes on and on.

While ATI doesn't necessarily "bluescreen", the other problems with their driver stack are well known with OEMs as well as in the editorial community.
Old October 6, 2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

There's a lot of 'Nvidia fanatics' and 'ATI fanatics' but I don't really understand the blind fanaticism and loyalty. Do those people work for those companies? I don't think most do. So, why argue so vehemently about it?

I have read several times of ATI being criticized for their buggy drivers from both Windows and Linux users. While Nvidia gets bashed for their rebadging and for 'bumpgate.' The Inquirer, anyone? Users/fans (whatever) defend from both sides.

I say they're both corporations... both will cut corners and try to maximize profits. They don't give a poo-poo if you game or watch TV or use your card to scratch your back.... they want you to buy the most expensive card at a high price and go on fancy pharmaceuticals to your delight.... as long as you buy their stuff...

I don't have a preference but I hate it when they scrap reference cards to cut corners and if the allegations of cheaper components used is accurate... that *bugs* me....no matter which company is doing it. If you're paying the same price for the same series/model of card but it's been cheapened some how to maximize profits, I think that is worthy of a rant.

But, then my hat is getting uncomfortable so I'm going to leap off my soapbox right about.....now.
Old October 6, 2010, 12:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
There's a lot of 'Nvidia fanatics' and 'ATI fanatics' but I don't really understand the blind fanaticism and loyalty. Do those people work for those companies? I don't think most do. So, why argue so vehemently about it?

I have read several times of ATI being criticized for their buggy drivers from both Windows and Linux users. While Nvidia gets bashed for their rebadging and for 'bumpgate.' The Inquirer, anyone? Users/fans (whatever) defend from both sides.

I say they're both corporations... both will cut corners and try to maximize profits. They don't give a poo-poo if you game or watch TV or use your card to scratch your back.... they want you to buy the most expensive card at a high price and go on fancy pharmaceuticals to your delight.... as long as you buy their stuff...

I don't have a preference but I hate it when they scrap reference cards to cut corners and if the allegations of cheaper components used is accurate... that *bugs* me....no matter which company is doing it. If you're paying the same price for the same series/model of card but it's been cheapened some how to maximize profits, I think that is worthy of a rant.

But, then my hat is getting uncomfortable so I'm going to leap off my soapbox right about.....now.
Beacuse at the end of the day people want to be right and want others to be wrong. People want to quantify and justify the purchases they make and the decisions they make in regards to their equipment.
It exists everywhere there is branding and not exclusive to just this. Car enthusiast forums are rife with the same types of behaviour and loyality.

At the end of the day it is best to give a user the option for both and let them decide based on what they like.

@ SKY - Correct, just because a BSOD does (or doesn't) occur does not mean one company is better than the other. Both have issues, and I would give a good wager that these issues even though 'caused' by nVidia, ATi at the end of the day I would hold MS just as accountable for their less than ideal at times OS architecture.
Old October 6, 2010, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Causes of Windows Vista Crashes by Organization:

28.8% - NVidia
18.5% - Other
17.9% - Microsoft
17.0% - Unknown
9.3% - ATI
8.8% - Intel

Hard numbers coming directly for Microsoft...looks like your "I'm right, your wrong" arguement isn't going to hold water here.

I'm still looking for the data regarding Windows 7. I may have been mistaken and it could have been for the Windows 7 beta when they were comparing early drivers.
Yeah I call BS on the above......as for Vista..what a pile of doggie doo that OS was to begin with...nvidia and ATI were climbing an uphill battle to compliment a piece of shvt OS with Drivers....

I've been using nv Drivers for years and I can honestly say I can count the number of BSOD's and CTD on a couple of fingers that were directly related to the Drivers.....the only time I get BSOD's is when I'm painfully looking for that sweet spot OC'ing......why Post garbage?!

Nice wedding picture btw....

Old October 6, 2010, 02:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thread cleaned.

Keep it civil and on topic folks. Comments on news items are visible to anyone, not just forum members.