Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old October 6, 2010, 04:47 AM
encorp's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,425

My System Specs

Default

It amazes me how little knowledge the majority you have surrounding this type of thing. Most of your replies were exhausting to read at at best.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old October 6, 2010, 05:58 AM
Smoothie's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 271

My System Specs

Default

I have seen 9800GT, 9800 GTX+, GTX 260, GTX 280 all reference design by Nvidia at Future Shop so this isn't really new to me.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old October 6, 2010, 06:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Well said. NVIDIA has too many partners imo. ATI has just the right amount. It's so hard to choose which partner we want to buy from when we buy a NVIDIA GPU.

I wonder if the GPUs are going to be overpriced at Best Buy. $10 says it will be.
Not True really Geokilla.

ATi - Asus, Gigabyte, HIS, MSI, Powercolour, Sapphire, Visiontek, XFX.

nVidia - Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI, Palit, PNY, Sparkle, Zotac

There is no difference in the amount of board partners. So I am not quite sure exactally what you are getting at with this?
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old October 6, 2010, 07:06 AM
Avid6eek's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 72
Default

Void left by BFG? NVidia took BFG out of the market by refusing to sell them GTX 4XX GPUs. This is nothing more than NV being greedy and wanting to keep any profits that may go to AIB partners for themselves.

NV's falling marketshare is well deserved and I hope that it continues until they get their act together which may be late 2011 at the earliest.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old October 6, 2010, 07:33 AM
encorp's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,425

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek View Post
Void left by BFG? NVidia took BFG out of the market by refusing to sell them GTX 4XX GPUs. This is nothing more than NV being greedy and wanting to keep any profits that may go to AIB partners for themselves.

NV's falling marketshare is well deserved and I hope that it continues until they get their act together which may be late 2011 at the earliest.
It's more costly for them to do this than it is to have an AIB in place. The whole reason AIB's even came into being back in the 90's was because it was costing them too much for them to operate both distribution and design/RnD.

So along came AIB's to alleviate the weight. But video cards increased in cost for a bit, until they became more accessible because AIB's had wider distribution globally. Having a middle man is standard practice in our market structure. In fact considering our market is made up of 80% service, it's more than standard - it's the damn norm.

BFG was run into the ground financially because of bad management. The reason Nvidia stopped "selling" them cards was because BFG RAN OUT OF CREDIT and could no longer front the costs of it's operation. Nvidia didn't come along and go "You cannot have video cards now, sorry." - Even if I'm wrong, and they in fact did say that - why does it matter? The fact that you made the statement you did, shows you in fact know jack squat about what you are even talking about and leaves you absolutely baseless and without credit to even make a statement regarding Nvidia's market share.

Nvidia is LOSING money by doing this, not gaining it. In the long run it'll pay off brand wise however and eventually financially but they are incurring enormous front-loaded costs in order to benefit in the long run. This is a -very- wise financial decision that'll help ensure the company continues to prosper.

Take your silly tinfoil hat and go play with your little red video cards.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.

Last edited by encorp; October 6, 2010 at 08:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old October 6, 2010, 08:42 AM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,932

My System Specs

Default

+1 to Encorp and Geo.....very well said......cannot see that nv is on the down side at this point, they currently sport the fastest single GPU for Enthusiasts and the best bang for buck for mainstream (480 and 460).....fairwell to BFG, from a lot of Posts I read in the past thier Customer Support wasn't so grand, perhaps that had something to do with it....

As for brand, I stick to Evga......how do you spell Customer Support?... E-V-G-A ;)

btw..I really do get a kick out of these folks that blatently Post Fermi as a "fail" .....man are they in the "dark"...that would be equal tome posting ATI 5xxx Series as a fail without in fact trying one ...of which I would never...(Post it as a fail)...if one landed in my lap I most certainly would give it a go...
__________________
Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.

Last edited by rjbarker; October 6, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old October 6, 2010, 08:54 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,063

My System Specs

Default

Encorp - Thank you for at least owning up to the fact of your behaviour and fixing it. Lets keep it civil.

Avid - There is no point in getting into this type of slugging match by going down to the level you have.
If you can't keep it civil, then don't respond. Next time I see those words, its an infraction.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old October 6, 2010, 09:12 AM
Avid6eek's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 72
Default

Awww...I get chastised simply for being the new guy...I didn't see that coming. I'm not going to edit my posts because I'm owning up to what I said and don't want to hide it. Encorp shouldn't have jumped down my throat the way he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker
cannot see that nv is on the down side at this point, they currently sport the fastest single GPU for Enthusiasts and the best bang for buck for mainstream (480 and 460)
Graphics processing is highly parallel as well all know...so it doesn't matter how many GPU's are on a card. Having the "fastest single GPU card" is not a victory for whichever side has it. ATI has the performance lead when it comes to single cards.

The GTX 460 is only a recent addition to nVidia's lineup. It is a great card and if I needed a $200 card the 460 1GB would be it, but is only a blip as it will be spending the next year competing with the 6000 series. Having the best card in the segment for 2 months while the competitoin has the best in the segment for the previous year, and will for the next year is not a good thing. Competition benefits us all and I would like nVidia to remember that gaming is their bread and butter. They are focused on things such as PhyX which is used by few games, and will never become the standard for physics calculations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker
As for brand, I stick to Evga......how do you spell Customer Support?... E-V-G-A ;)
Agreed 100%. I use their motherboards, and when I build out systems for people who have no preference they get EVGA components. They are worth the extra $$ IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old October 6, 2010, 09:16 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,063

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek View Post
Awww...I get chastised simply for being the new guy...I didn't see that coming. I'm not going to edit my posts because I'm owning up to what I said and don't want to hide it. Encorp shouldn't have jumped down my throat the way he did.

Graphics processing is highly parallel as well all know...so it doesn't matter how many GPU's are on a card. Having the "fastest single GPU card" is not a victory for whichever side has it. ATI has the performance lead when it comes to single cards.

The GTX 460 is only a recent addition to nVidia's lineup. It is a great card and if I needed a $200 card the 460 1GB would be it, but is only a blip as it will be spending the next year competing with the 6000 series. Having the best card in the segment for 2 months while the competitoin has the best in the segment for the previous year, and will for the next year is not a good thing. Competition benefits us all and I would like nVidia to remember that gaming is their bread and butter. They are focused on things such as PhyX which is used by few games, and will never become the standard for physics calculations.

Agreed 100%. I use their motherboards, and when I build out systems for people who have no preference they get EVGA components. They are worth the extra $$ IMHO.
No, you get a warning not for being the new guy (I don't look at post counts or Join date just so you know).
That type of behaviour does nothing constructive in the thread and therfore warrants the warning.
And I told Encorp as well to keep it civil, so you are not the only one if you actually read what I wrote.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old October 6, 2010, 10:33 AM
encorp's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,425

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek View Post
Encorp shouldn't have jumped down my throat the way he did.
As much as my post may not be the best way to welcome someone to HWC - I'm not going to retract it.

I'm a straight forward guy - if I think you are wrong, you are going to hear about it. I will however be the first to admit it when I end up being wrong.

If you're going to make baseless comments, without anything to back them up, be prepared to have your throat jumped down - because I'm going to do just that.

That being said, while we may have gotten off on the wrong foot I'll own up to my 50% of it and at least give you the benefit of the doubt from here on out.

You are still wrong though, but we'll let it reside here and now.

Here's a dancing banana for your efforts.

Welcome to HWC; my name is Cam.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASUS Launches NVIDIA's new GeForce GTX480/470 Graphics Cards FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 5 July 29, 2010 06:53 PM
NVIDIA Launches Fermi-Class Quadro Graphics Cards FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 19 July 28, 2010 12:52 PM
BFG Announces NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, 9800 GT OC, & 9500 GT Graphics Cards MAC Press Releases & Tech News 0 July 29, 2008 09:53 PM
First Look: NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 55nm Graphics Cards MAC Press Releases & Tech News 11 July 9, 2008 06:42 PM
PS3 problems abound as second batch to hit shelves in December Gav Gaming 13 August 8, 2007 04:40 AM