Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2010, 01:45 PM
Banned
F@H

they slowly saw a bit of the branch under their feet. if another big partner gets fed up and gives the 6 series radeon a try? no bueno
Old October 5, 2010, 03:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm curious though, is NVIDIA going to be offering support and RMA's now too? Or do they have some contract with the GeekSquad to take care of those logistics? Granted I'm sure majority of people that buy a GPU at Best Buy will buy the extended warranty
Old October 5, 2010, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
EVGA and other NV board partners have been aware of this for months. There is also very little competition at brick and mortar stores since the only other companies are PNY (now focusing on Wal Mart) and Palit (Galaxy) who both don't send regular shipments to Best Buy.

So, here NVIDIA is putting on a promotion with Best Buy (3D Vision, Optimus notebooks, etc) and there aren't any NVIDIA GPUs to buy in the store that can properly support the technology. How would that look? NVIDIA stepped up to the plate and is now providing Best Buy with a regularly stocked SKU (at least for the time of the promotion) to run hand in hand with other NV-branded products.

Plus, is you were Best Buy and wanted to run a promotion, wouldn't you rather have direct branding that people know (NVIDIA) all over your shelves rather than PNY, Galaxy, etc?
You're saying this like there is market demand. I'm not denying it, but if there is why is it none of the OEMs were stepping up to bat? You'd figure if there was a slice of the pie, they all would have been salivating at the jowels to get in the door (like BFG did). EVGA just said "Nah, we dont want to corner Best Buy"?

Im more inclined to think nV made a back door deal, eliminating BFG's market corner (by eliminating BFG? Perhaps!), and sliding in to the slot to reap the rewards. This stinks of a fix and/or greasy palms.

Its all just conjecture (and nearly FUD) but it feels like it has a grain of truth. What say you?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 5, 2010, 04:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
You're saying this like there is market demand. I'm not denying it, but if there is why is it none of the OEMs were stepping up to bat? You'd figure if there was a slice of the pie, they all would have been salivating at the jowels to get in the door (like BFG did). EVGA just said "Nah, we dont want to corner Best Buy"?

Im more inclined to think nV made a back door deal, eliminating BFG's market corner (by eliminating BFG? Perhaps!), and sliding in to the slot to reap the rewards. This stinks of a fix and/or greasy palms.

Its all just conjecture (and nearly FUD) but it feels like it has a grain of truth. What say you?

Charlie?
Fold for team #54196
Old October 5, 2010, 08:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well with BFG gone, and XFX officially no longer licensed to do anything nVidia related, it makes good sense why they did this.

Plus, like SKY has said, having choice is good, having too much however can actually hurt your brand. I personally don't even see the point of having so many partners like Zotac, PNY, Galaxy, etc. etc. etc. when they offer very little between them and too much choice.

It is a good idea to have different partners for budget (i.e. zotac) -> mainstream (i.e. eVGA/ASUS) -> performance (i.e. ASUS/eVGA) but there is no reason to have so many of them.
Old October 5, 2010, 08:34 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

eh i guess its good for the average consumer.... still can't help but think nVidias up to something sketchy though.....
Old October 5, 2010, 08:58 PM
Rookie

I don't understand what nVidia is upto and I wonder how its AIBs feel especially EVGA. I also don't think the average customer cares but it does get another choice which could be good or bad.
Old October 5, 2010, 09:03 PM
Unregistered Dude

I hope Nvidia doesn't forget to include anti-static bags on their other cards like this one in the image. XD
Old October 5, 2010, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Colonel View Post
Well with BFG gone, and XFX officially no longer licensed to do anything nVidia related, it makes good sense why they did this.

Plus, like SKY has said, having choice is good, having too much however can actually hurt your brand. I personally don't even see the point of having so many partners like Zotac, PNY, Galaxy, etc. etc. etc. when they offer very little between them and too much choice.

It is a good idea to have different partners for budget (i.e. zotac) -> mainstream (i.e. eVGA/ASUS) -> performance (i.e. ASUS/eVGA) but there is no reason to have so many of them.
Well said. NVIDIA has too many partners imo. ATI has just the right amount. It's so hard to choose which partner we want to buy from when we buy a NVIDIA GPU.

I wonder if the GPUs are going to be overpriced at Best Buy. $10 says it will be.
Old October 6, 2010, 03:14 AM
Rookie

I think it's good to have as an option. Sometimes you just want a nice reference board for the lowest price possible. AIB makers specialize in slapping on fancy coolers and charging $30.00 extra for the same product.