Old December 14, 2007, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default AMD previews Hybrid CrossFire

Quote:
By Jose Vilches, TechSpot.com
Published: December 13, 2007, 12:05 PM EST

AMD previewed their upcoming Hybrid CrossFire technology today, which is aimed at the non-hardcore gamer looking to improve graphics at lower price point. The idea is simple yet compelling, the majority of desktop computers sold today feature integrated graphics, which is fine for most nongaming tasks but will often deliver the equivalent of a slideshow when trying to play the latest game titles. However, with Hybrid CrossFire users are able to install an entry level graphics card and pair it with the GPU built into the motherboard chipset for a nice performance bump.

The folks at HardOCP were able to play some games and run benchmarks on an AMD Hybrid CrossFire system sporting a working DX10 integrated graphics chipset paired with an RV620-based discrete graphics card. With Crysis being the “benchmark” of any 3D video acceleration technology available today, they had to test the game with Hybrid CrossFire enabled. Interestingly, it ran quite well at 1024x768 with most of the visual settings on medium. I won’t go as far as to call this performance stunning, but then again, we are talking about budget integrated graphics boards with a $50 add-in card.
AMD previews Hybrid CrossFire - TechSpot News
Old December 14, 2007, 06:01 PM
Top Prospect

Now that is something wanted years ago. And the concept is really neat too. Even if you get a board that has a gpu that can play some games well, it won't completely go to waste even when you add a video card that is more than $200USD. The only question left for me to say now is, can you get this crossfire to work with an older videocard such a my personal favorite, an All-in-Wonder x1800 or an AIW x800XL? Im still a big fan of the now discontinued card line and think that discontinuing such a line is wasteful especially now that videocards now prohibit adding more than 2 other cards to your system due to them taking 2 or more slots in the back of your pc. An AIW HD3xxx would look sweet in such a computer, and even save space, being ideal to the ever growing number of people wanting HTPCs.

Last edited by Mysteryous; December 14, 2007 at 06:09 PM.