Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2010, 01:52 PM
Allstar

Exclamation Rim takes the veil off of the Playbook

Here we go. Hope the OS is up to par.

Key features and specifications of the BlackBerry PlayBook include:

* 7" LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support
* BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
* 1 GHz dual-core processor
* 1 GB RAM
* Dual HD cameras (3 MP front facing, 5 MP rear facing), supports 1080p HD video recording
* Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV
* Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
* HDMI video output
* Wi-Fi - 802.11 a/b/g/n
* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
* Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts
* Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java
* Ultra thin and portable:
o Measures 5.1"x7.6"x0.4" (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)
o Weighs less than a pound (approximately 0.9 lb or 400g)
* Additional features and specifications of the BlackBerry PlayBook will be shared on or before the date this product is launched in retail outlets.
* RIM intends to also offer 3G and 4G models in the future.

YouTube - BlackBerry PlayBook - Preview!

Quote:
Today at Research In Motion's developer event, Mike Lazaridis introduced the company's new tablet -- the PlayBook. The device will sport a Cortex A9, 1GHz dual-core CPU, 1GB of RAM, a 7-inch display, webOS-like app switching, an e-reader component, full document editing, and pairing with BlackBerry phones. The device will be capable of 1080p HDMI video and will have HDMI and USB ports, a front and rear HD camera configuration, and will be 9.7mm thick. The PlayBook is based on a platform designed by QNX, just as we'd heard previously. The PlayBook will have full OpenGL and POSIX support, and RIM seems to have its eye set firmly on capturing a gamer market. Lazaridis called it "the first professional tablet," and "an amplified view of what's already on your BlackBerry." More info is coming our way, and we've got a full video after the break!

CHEERS
Old September 27, 2010, 09:57 PM
Banned
F@H

nice, its got some 'thick' edges though.
Old September 28, 2010, 04:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile News and Reviews

Only time will tell. Hopefully it's as good or better than the iPad.
Old September 28, 2010, 04:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
nice, its got some 'thick' edges though.
iPad is thicker - it only feels thin because of its tapered edges.

iPad dimensions:
242.8 mm (9.56 in) (h)
189.7 mm (7.47 in) (w)
13.4 mm (0.53 in) (d)
Old September 28, 2010, 04:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The current downside (aside from currently available apps, and that's why the announcement now instead of at launch) is the lack of 3/4G connectivity at the same price point as the iPad. If it were to come in a bit lower in price it might be viable, but the requirement to tether it to a blackberry for Cellphone network connectivity IMO makes this a non-starter.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 28, 2010, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That promo video was about as god damned vague as you could be ahaha. I saw like two product shots and a bunch of edited video transposing the OS onto tables and friggin chairs and shit.

Anyways, I think it looks nice and I'd probably use one before an Ipad just on that, but it should have 3/4g for sure.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 28, 2010, 05:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

I thought they were going to name it "blackpad" or something along those lines - RIM had purchased the domains and all.

IMO, nice technology, but lame name.

Old September 28, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Although I am happy to welcome a competitive product to the iPad (and a Canadian one to boot!) I have as much need for this as an iPad (Read: Zero). Our company bought 4 ipads because they were going to revolutionize how we "interact" with customers at trade shows and sales events. Well you can't put the bloody thing down because someone will rip-it-off and it ultimately sucks for inputting information with one hand. So we have given the first one away in a contest and I am sure the others are soon to follow, save for one which the owner likes to show off to his friends... great investments eh!

My wife and I are looking at buying a new place and one showing we went to the agent had an Ipad there and was very enthusiastic about showing us pictures of the home we were standing in on it. I was like "Uhhh, maybe I'll just walk around and see for myself, thanks"

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 28, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that's bloody hilarious!
Old September 28, 2010, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
My wife and I are looking at buying a new place and one showing we went to the agent had an Ipad there and was very enthusiastic about showing us pictures of the home we were standing in on it. I was like "Uhhh, maybe I'll just walk around and see for myself, thanks"
Lol that is funny.

And like you said, any competition is good competition.