Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2010, 06:21 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Arctic Releases MX-4 High Performance Thermal Compound

ARCTIC introduces a new thermal compound, ARCTIC MX-4, which features a new formula that guarantees exceptional heat dissipation from components and maintains the needed stability to push your computer system to its maximum. Similar to the performance of existing and acclaimed ARCTIC MX-series, ARCTIC MX-4 continues to be overclocker?s ultimate cho... [ Read full article ]
Old September 13, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Meh, for a degree of difference I am not tossing out my 30g tube of MX-2. :P
Old September 13, 2010, 06:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Its texture is just thin enough to spread onto components using fingers without creating much mess.
Is there some sort of artificial finger that people use to spread TIM that I'm not aware of or do people actually think using their finger is a good idea and accurate way to judge one TIM from another? o.O
Old September 13, 2010, 06:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Meh, for a degree of difference I am not tossing out my 30g tube of MX-2. :P
Same here, and I can go one better.... I ordered a new tube for somebody who ended up not wanting it any more which left me with 1 1/2 of those freaking huge tubes.... ended up giving away the 1/2 tube, and I think I've only used something like 7 applications on the new one so far..... :)

I'd be interested in seeing what the consistancy is like on this though. My understanding (never tried it myself) is that the MX-3 was a lot thicker than the MX-2 we've all come to love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Is there some sort of artificial finger that people use to spread TIM that I'm not aware of or do people actually think using their finger is a good idea and accurate way to judge one TIM from another? o.O
I've been using a sandwich bag stretched over my finger for years as my preferred method of spreading MX-2.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 13, 2010, 07:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I just use the tip of the syringe and wipe it with paper towel afterwards.. I'm just curious if anyone actually uses their finger to spread it? lol
Old September 13, 2010, 07:33 PM
Banned
F@H

not the bare finger, but find a corner of a clear plastic bag(much as ss above) and do a spread with it. or ,usually, when im lazy just dump it there, put cooler on top, gently wiggle about,clip on.end.
Old September 13, 2010, 07:48 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

ooooh lol ok sorry i get it now hehe, I dunno why I didn't think of that at first
Old September 13, 2010, 08:10 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I just bought a 30g tube of generic paste from DealExtreme for $3. It does the job most of the time, and when I need something better I have an open tube of MX-2 and one of Zalman STG-2 that came with my CNPS10X.
Old September 13, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I hope you guys realize that the spread method is the worst way to do it because it traps pockets of air. Just but a pie size in the center and then put the heatsink on.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old September 13, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Just but a pie size in the center and then put the heatsink on.
Pie AND computer parts?! I'm in!

But with the rest of these guys, my MX-2 still does mighty fine.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Last edited by Lpfan4ever; September 13, 2010 at 11:08 PM.