Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   PAX 2010: Firefall - MMOFPS What? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/36004-pax-2010-firefall-mmofps-what.html)

FiXT September 7, 2010 06:05 PM

PAX 2010: Firefall - MMOFPS What?

While gamers at PAX were eagerly waiting in line for Guild Wars 2, Portal 2 and the plethora of other hot titles, a few previously unheard of gems were also getting some major attention, one of which being Firefall. The game is being developed by Red 5 Studios, you likely haven't heard of them because Firefall is their first major title. The compa... [ Read full article ]

ilya September 7, 2010 06:25 PM

Awesome gameplay video FiXT, especially at the end. Looks like a souped up Alien Swarm style game with MMORPG elements.

Signed up for beta!

fishingfanatic September 7, 2010 06:28 PM

Press Release

Looks interesting. From someone who is a pretty green gamer with pcs, it'll be a while b4 I can join in the fun.
:biggrin::thumb:

SKYMTL September 7, 2010 06:45 PM

The lighting effects were just.....wow.

thorn September 7, 2010 07:17 PM

Signed up for beta as well. This looks far better than some of the other mmo's out there (especially mmofps's), and it's nice to see you can switch to first person mode. Though I must say I wonder how they will survive purely on micro-transactions being that they are for cosmetic purposes only.

And I agree with SKY, when they are walking to the objective watching the sun come through the tress stood out to me.

rapmaster September 7, 2010 07:37 PM

Signed up for the beta as well.

headsh0t September 7, 2010 07:57 PM

Well looks to be alright especially if it's a bunch of ex-Blizzard employees, but I will reserve my judgment on how fun the game is to play until I can actually play it. I'm kinda weary on the whole F2P model, we'll see how that goes.... And Cell Shading? WHY!!?!?!?!

Technokat September 7, 2010 07:58 PM

is it just me or is it when you "sign up for beta" all you are doing is making a forum account?

SKYMTL September 7, 2010 08:14 PM

I happen to love cell shading.

Also, it looks like the environments are not cell shaded but the characters are.

FiXT September 7, 2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorn (Post 426013)
Signed up for beta as well. This looks far better than some of the other mmo's out there (especially mmofps's), and it's nice to see you can switch to first person mode.

I think this is part of the reason the creators are being very adamant about NOT calling it an MMOFPS, because then people get the idea in their head that it is "like WoW".

The only thing similar to an MMORPG and an MMOFPS is the persistent world, without "rounds" and philosophy of playing with more than just 16 vs 16.

With Firefall, you aren't going to have to "grind" to get better levels and there isn't going to be the same focus on leveling at all. Its going to be on skill and obviously gear to an extent, but there won't be the level divide like an MMORPG, where you have to solo quest to get to 20, or 80 or whatever and then you finally get to experience "end game content".

I am definitely excited to learn more about this game and I really hope they pull it off well.
I had had big hopes for APB when it was initially announced, it sounded awesome and somewhat similar in respect to the MMORPG idea... and look where it is :sad: