Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2010, 04:28 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
And please, please PLEASE.. somebody stop all these effing companies and their Social Networking garbage. Like come on already... who the *uck cares? "Please follow me on iFaceBookTunesSpace where you can see that I listen to the same crap everyday on my 8GB iPod, because that's all that i could afford and games/apps take a lot of space so I only have 100 songs on it."

My favorite is the one where you can follow other people's buying trends...
You literally hook up your bank account to this social networking website and it tells people what you are buying And obviously provides you with a link to buy it yourself.
For those people that want to live their lives just like celebrities they can follow their buying habits or something... I don't get it at all

At least I see a value in select types of social networking such as Facebook. Twitter I have come to embrace as an excellent way to get information from companies without having to rely on something that has RSS capabilities and without have to read through the often long-winded PR crud. Definitely is a great tool to stay up to date.

Jury is out on Ping - I honestly have never used iTunes before, but I can see how it would really help people to discover new music. You find a band, and find other people who like it... from there you can discover plenty of other bands by people with the same musical tastes as you - you have to admit it does kind of make sense
Old September 1, 2010, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It makes sense from an accountants point of view. It's about selling more songs not discovering new music. People who enjoy discovering new music do so. People who enjoy the pulp that is rammed down our throats at every turn shouldn't have troubles finding it.

Maybe on the brighter side it might open some people's eyes to some underrated artists. And if you are into social networking stuff I suppose it's a nifty feature. I just can't get into all this crap myself. I have a facebook acct that has no pics, no info, a few stupid videos I find on the web that I like and I deny every single app request from everyone of my family and friends. Yet I still have family and friends and manage to stay in touch... amazing!

In fact Facebook stats are showing that younger folks are leaving it and going back to chats and such. Geez do you think they are getting tired of their parents and wider range of "friends" knowing everything about them?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 1, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They don't need to get the price down, only wait for fan boy to buy a new one because a new firmware version is out but it's so out to update...lol...

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 1, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the new itouch is pretty cool for a person that doesn't have a smartphone/earlier gen. itouch.

-Plato
Old September 1, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
I think the new itouch is pretty cool for a person that doesn't have a smartphone/earlier gen. itouch.
Get a Skype app for it and you are laughing
For those cities that have the WiMax/City wide WiFi connection it would almost be a way better deal than paying double for the iPhone 4 plus stuck in a contract
Old September 1, 2010, 06:12 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Get a Skype app for it and you are laughing
For those cities that have the WiMax/City wide WiFi connection it would almost be a way better deal than paying double for the iPhone 4 plus stuck in a contract
Except that Sykpe isn't sold in the Canadian iTunes.

Shame the AppleTV is so weak. It has a nice price and a nice form factor. But 720p only? Not to mention the horrible video/audio support. Its interface is alright but in terms of usefulness it severly lacks compared to other media devices.
Old September 2, 2010, 02:32 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Except that Sykpe isn't sold in the Canadian iTunes.
Well now that is very strange then....because I have a Canadian iTunes account and I got Skype on my iPad right now. True it is a iPhone App but it works perfectly with the iPad as well....plus I just looked and it is still there free of charge.

Am I missing something here?

Now as for the new iPod Touch....I pre-ordered one. Why? IMHO it is the perfect mix. Has the HD Cam on the back and with the front camera for Facetime it is the PERFECT way to stay in touch with a few buddies of mine. Now keep in mind....with it having a HD cam you will NEED a lot of space....so I highly recommend skipping the 8GB model.

Anyone know how fast Apple ships and where it ships from? CDN or USA.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old September 2, 2010, 02:50 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

Shame the AppleTV is so weak. It has a nice price and a nice form factor. But 720p only? Not to mention the horrible video/audio support. Its interface is alright but in terms of usefulness it severly lacks compared to other media devices.
Keep in mind AppleTV ONLY streams, streaming 1080p would not only require hardware much more powerful than what $99 could buy, but also would wreak havoc on people's network connections and bandwidth caps.

Most TV shows aren't even available in 1080 as vritually all stations HD is broadcast at 720. The blu-ray version only ever comes out after the season wraps up and it is released in box set.

I don't think anything higher than 720P would have even been physically possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
Anyone know how fast Apple ships and where it ships from? CDN or USA.
big box stores are accepting preorders and should receive stock at the same time as the USA
Old September 2, 2010, 03:35 PM
Top Prospect

I believe Apple's movie/tv store works by downloading the file and then streaming it from your pc to the apple tv. I also don't see why Apple did not make it stream 1080p and support more file types especially when there are players out there below $99 that do stream 1080p and support a lot of files. What a shame it looks nice I sure would have bought one if it did support many other video/audio files and could stream 1080p.
Old September 2, 2010, 05:25 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
Well now that is very strange then....because I have a Canadian iTunes account and I got Skype on my iPad right now. True it is a iPhone App but it works perfectly with the iPad as well....plus I just looked and it is still there free of charge.

Am I missing something here?
WTF. I know it wasn't available in the past in Canada. I even looked yesterday and I couldn't find it. Yet today there it is. I fail at life.