Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2010, 11:32 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default MSI Announces the 870A Fuzion Power Edition

MSI, the world renowned motherboard and graphics card maker, has followed up the recent release of its revolutionary Fuzion series mainboard by upping the ante with the release of the 870A Fuzion Power Edition mainboard that features AMD 870 and SB850 chipset and support for AMD?s full line of Phenom II, Athlon II, and Sempron processors in Socket ... [ Read full article ]
Old September 1, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You should also mention that it does in fact have the Lucid Hydra 200 chip onboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit-Tech
The AMD 870 Northbridge connects to the Lucid Hydra 200 chip with a single PCI-E 16x lane but MSI claims this is still enough bandwidth for dual graphics cards, as the Hydra 200 chip ensures the board has two full PCI-E 16x slots. MSI claims the bandwidth bottleneck between the graphics cards and Northbridge is a non-issue.
Old September 1, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
You should also mention that it does in fact have the Lucid Hydra 200 chip onboard.
aka "Fuzion Technology"?

Quote:
To let users unreservedly experience the enhanced performance of multiple graphics cards, the MSI 870A Fuzion Power Edition mainboard comes with exclusive Fuzion Technology, which can successfully carry out cross-vendor, non-identical multi-GPU processing simultaneously. In addition, the dual PCI-E 16 Gen2 expansion slot design allows you to purchase any brand or class of new graphics card with your existing graphics card
Old September 1, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I saw that, but some readers don't know how that works. I thought being more specific would help aid readers.

Other than that, looks like a pretty solid board.
Old September 1, 2010, 11:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I guess since Nvidia refuses to make new SLI chipsets for AMD motherboards now, this is the closest thing we can get to it (Lucid Hydra). I'm hoping performance will improve soon with those Hydra chips. As it stands now, it's barely worth it to get a second card and use that feature.

Last edited by Hacksaw907; September 1, 2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Missed a word
Old September 1, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Problem I see is like most mobo's nowadays, once you populate the two pci-e slots with double slot cards you are only left with 1 pci-ex1 slot.

On this board that is obviously meant to run 2 card setups it just seams stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 1, 2010, 12:05 PM
Banned
F@H

interesting. last i checked that one chip lowered performance when two different cards were used in tandem?
Old September 1, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the last round of boards were the Hydra 100 chip? You can prove me wrong here though.

We haven't seen another board with Hydra yet, but MSI and ASUS are both building boards with the chip. Perhaps they've managed to get the critical bugs out?
Old September 1, 2010, 04:31 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Perhaps they have, but I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I won't touch a Hydra board with a ten-foot pole.
Old October 3, 2010, 06:40 PM
Banned
F@H

MSI 870A Fuzion X-Mode Testing w/ R5870 Lightning & N465GTX Twin Frozr Introduction, Test System Setup and Preparation :: TweakTown USA Edition

if the same applies to the 350 dollar asus card? i dont know. at least this one has dual 16x slots, and is priced around 150 bucks

does it warant twice the price over the vanilla 870 which has a 16x and a 4x slot? not so sure :)