Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default EVGA Debuts X58 SLI3 Motherboard with Affordable Price

EVGA has released their first new motherboard in a while, the EVGA X58 SLI3 (model: 131-GT-E767-TR, offering the x58 chipset with impressive SLI capabilities at an affordable price. Utilizing the Intel x58 chipset with LGA1366 socket, the board is similar in design to the basic X58 SLI, with the addition of USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s. The board is capa... [ Read full article ]
Old August 31, 2010, 02:44 PM
Banned
F@H

nice but still a tad expensive, the egg throws a deal on the 'lesser' manufacturers' units from time to time around 120-150 :)
Old August 31, 2010, 02:54 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like the X58 SLI LE with SATA3, USB3, and some minor layout tweaks. For the price, there's better out there.
Old August 31, 2010, 02:59 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Really? I'll be honest, I have rarely been impressed by any sub $200 x58 offerings. Heck a couple months ago it wasn't even possible to get one for under $200.

There doesn't seem to be that great a selection for sub $200 motherboards like you guys say with USB3 and SATA II out there, especially not ones that can do 3-way SLI and have the overclocking capabilities of EVGA's.

There is definitely more options available in the US - but Canada's pickings are somewhat slim.

Bunch of mATX options, Asus's Sabertooth and some other across the water OEM styled ones like Foxconn and ECS
Old August 31, 2010, 03:05 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Really? I'll be honest, I have rarely been impressed by any sub $200 x58 offerings. Heck a couple months ago it wasn't even possible to get one for under $200.

There doesn't seem to be that great a selection for sub $200 motherboards like you guys say with USB3 and SATA II out there, especially not ones that can do 3-way SLI and have the overclocking capabilities of EVGA's.

There is definitely more options available in the US - but Canada's pickings are somewhat slim.

Bunch of mATX options, Asus's Sabertooth and some other across the water OEM styled ones like Foxconn and ECS
I would take any one of the following boards over this EVGA model:
Newegg.ca - ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.ca - ASRock X58 Extreme 3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.ca - MSI X58A-GD65 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.ca - BIOSTAR TPOWER X58A LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

This board is also EVGA's bottom of the line motherboard, and it only has a six-phase VRM. I wouldn't consider it that great for overclocking.
Old August 31, 2010, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Press Release

If this would've been out 6 mos ago I would've bought one on sale. My issue with most boards is having a slot covered that I want or 2 slots too close together. I have a pci-e x1 sound card that worked in my old mobo in any slot but for some reason wouldn't work in my new one. Luckily there was a x1 slot that wasn't covered and everything works fine. The issue was most likely the user, I'm a total noob!
Anywho, I agree the price is a bit high.
Old August 31, 2010, 03:16 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

but again, every one of those is already over the price of the EVGA model. Not to mention they are already established in the market and unlikely to go down in price. I would expect actual retail prices of the EVGA model to drop by $10-$20 within the first few months after release.

If it retails in Canada for $199, then it will be one of the lowest price x58 ATX mobos around.

I don't know how many EVGA boards you have owned or used, but I definitely wouldn't be taking Biostar or ASROCK over them unless they offered exceptional price discounts. Asus I would consider, but TBH the Sabertooth is just plain gaudy.

Gigabyte, well definitely, but for a buddy on a budget $30 can be a lot.

MSI imo would be the best of the lot for price and performance. Haven't dealt with the CS since their "revamp/restructuring" so the jury is out.

I guess I would agree it is priced around the level where it should be with the other "budget series" of boards.

Last edited by FiXT; August 31, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old August 31, 2010, 03:28 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Yes, already mentioned the Sabertooth - but again, every one of those is already over the price of the EVGA model. Not to mention they are already established in the market and unlikely to go down in price. I would expect actual retail prices of the EVGA model to drop by $10-$20 within the first few months after release.

If it retails in Canada for $199, then it will be one of the lowest price x58 ATX mobos around.

I don't know how many EVGA boards you have owned or used, but I definitely wouldn't be taking Biostar or ASROCK over them unless they offered exceptional price discounts. Asus I would consider, but TBH the Sabertooth is just plain gawdy.

Gigabyte, well definitely, but for a buddy on a budget $30 can be a lot.
The MSRP of the EVGA board is in USD, so I would expect the street price in Canada to be at least $210. X58 boards usually don't change in price until they're replaced by a newer model.

I haven't actually used any EVGA motherboards, but I've used BIOSTAR and ASRock products and they've been very good. I'd take a higher-end board from one of those brands over a low-end board from EVGA.

If you're building an LGA1366 system in the first place, you can scrounge up an extra $30 for a better board. We're talking about $300 CPUs, $200 motherboards, and $150 RAM kits here. It's not gonna be cheap no matter what.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I don't find this board appealing at all compared to other budget options. Sure, it's an EVGA board, but all it's got behind it is the brand. In terms of features, it's beaten out by other boards in the same price range.
Old August 31, 2010, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow look how much stuff they remove from the board. 6 phase power, so less circuit between the PCI slot. Maybe this one will be less reliable compare to other low price X58?? Not a good overclocker for sure.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 31, 2010, 03:37 PM
Unregistered

Default .

Well the overclocking capabilities for anyone not going l2n are really no better on an Evga board then any of the asus / msi / gigabyte ones out there in similar price brackets. Their warranty support is getting lower every release as well (2 years now) so they're nothing special these days imo.