Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2010, 04:03 PM
Banned
F@H

i sugested the tpower linked above to a frend vs a 40'ish dollar more expensive giga, all i can say is that its the most underrated board of the bunch, clocked like a mother and stable as a bull.

what evga needs is to get close to its p55 sub/around 100 dollar mobo(s). im not saying sub 100 x58, but around 120 they can do. then i would consider one, even though the pcb is kind of lacking in components. but at 200? no way :)

dont think the x58 chipset costs 90 more dollars than p55. come on now.
Old August 31, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Wouldn't expect much difference between this and the LE. Toasty hot NB, thanks to a heatsink that's almost as stupidly designed as Gigabyte's revolutionary "Waterblock on top of fins" design. But it'll certainly manage a stable 4GHz out of an i7 processor.
Old August 31, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Wow look how much stuff they remove from the board. 6 phase power, so less circuit between the PCI slot. Maybe this one will be less reliable compare to other low price X58?? Not a good overclocker for sure.

We just discussed the 6 phase power in IRC (in between plotting to take over the Worl...err HWC ). The fact is, if you can adjust the frequency (which I'd put money on since its an EVGA board) 800khz 6phase will beat out 8 phase 250khz any day, assuming of course you have quality VRM's able to handle a frequency jump efficiently and all.

Bigger phases arnt always better at reducing ripple or providing 150+ amps to a CPU.

To appease SugarJ I'm going to use a CAR analogy. ()

Stock V8's arnt always better (more hp) then Straight six's (or V6's) that are tuned properly
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 31, 2010, 04:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice analogy Sagath! I like analogies! They're a great way to derail a thread. What were we talking about again?
Old August 31, 2010, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
We just discussed the 6 phase power in IRC (in between plotting to take over the Worl...err HWC ). The fact is, if you can adjust the frequency (which I'd put money on since its an EVGA board) 800khz 6phase will beat out 8 phase 250khz any day, assuming of course you have quality VRM's able to handle a frequency jump efficiently and all.

Bigger phases arnt always better at reducing ripple or providing 150+ amps to a CPU.

To appease SugarJ I'm going to use a CAR analogy. ()

Stock V8's arnt always better (more hp) then Straight six's (or V6's) that are tuned properly
I am totally aware of that Sagath don't worry But I rarelly see low price board with really good VRM.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 31, 2010, 04:52 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post

I haven't actually used any EVGA motherboards, but I've used BIOSTAR and ASRock products and they've been very good. I'd take a higher-end board from one of those brands over a low-end board from EVGA.
I like having warranty so there is no way I would ever do this. If this board is priced similarly in price to an X58A-UD3R I wouldn't hesitate in picking up the eVGA. At least it doesn't have atrocious PCIe/PCI layout like Gigabyte boards.
Old September 3, 2010, 07:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I like the look and styling of the EVGA boards. I have a lot of ASUS and Gigabyte boards.. but paired up with Mushkin redlines, the EVGA product just looks cool.
Would I buy this board? - for a 'lower end' X58 like my wifes computer sure .. but I overclock far too much with watercooling - and would like to see how it performs before reserving my judgement.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.